What size lumber to be used on stand?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the plywood, just because it is 'cabinet' grade', the quality can vary. I recently built a stand from 2 sheets of 'cabinet grade' rustic Hickory. The veneer on the pieces from one of those sheets began to peel off the substrate as I was getting ready to stain. The vendor was really great about it and replaced the plywood with 2 new sheets of a higher quality marine plywood. The lesson here is do not go cheap on the plywood especially if you are planning on using stain. Much of the plywood around these days is Chicomm junk.
Absolutely right. Hd, Menards and the like do Not carry cabinet grade ply. I use Baltic birch (called Apple ply in some parts of the country) exclusively purchased from a lumber yard/cabinet maker. There are few if any voids, a thick sandable face and is very stable and consistent.

H2OhWhoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is about that simple.

How are you planning on building/buying the doors?

If you are planning on buying them (HD and Lowes both sell cabinet doors in different sizes) I would identity the size you want First, then cut your openings to match. I went with 1/2" overlay on all sides, 3/4" overlay on the hinge side+ 1/8" gap.
I'm still very much in planning mode. I just started a thread earlier today asking if the forum members thought it was feasible for me to do an in-wall build. Take a look, it currently has 0 replies :)

Even if i do in-wall, i'd still have a cabinet showing on one side.

To your point, I figured I could buy cabinet doors online or directly at HomeDepot or Lowes. I'd first size them, as you suggest, then essentially build my stand to fit the cabinet doors. Because I'll buy cabinet doors from pros who make them for a living I'd want to minimize gaps to show them most.

Good advice, thanks!

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely right. Hd, Menards and the like do Not carry cabinet grade ply. I use Baltic birch (called Apple ply in some parts of the country) exclusively purchased from a lumber yard/cabinet maker. There are few if any voids, a thick sandable face and is very stable and consistent.
Yep, true Baltic birch or any marine BS1088 rated plywood.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barn doors have a nice look with the ability to easily remove both doors for maintenance. Something to consider.

569B9679-56DF-4551-A83C-4A52A51328E2.jpeg 5738BD06-C49F-4D8F-9CA9-94B524679699.jpeg 06252424-F4D0-4AF3-9362-8F75A0A1C2B9.jpeg

Charles07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is about that simple.

How are you planning on building/buying the doors?

If you are planning on buying them (HD and Lowes both sell cabinet doors in different sizes) I would identity the size you want First, then cut your openings to match. I went with 1/2" overlay on all sides, 3/4" overlay on the hinge side+ 1/8" gap.
It always better to customize the door with the exact size that fits within the cabin and try to include some designs to make the doors eye-catching by installing knobs, hinges with a antique touch

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It always better to customize the door with the exact size that fits within the cabin and try to include some designs to make the doors eye-catching by installing knobs, hinges with a antique touch
If someone has a shop and ability to customize the doors, sure. Not everybody has the ability to make the doors or desire to order custom sizes.

That's why I said if you were ordering standard sizing, figure that out before you throw face frames on.

Charles07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone has a shop and ability to customize the doors, sure. Not everybody has the ability to make the doors or desire to order custom sizes.

That's why I said if you were ordering standard sizing, figure that out before you throw face frames on.
Ok that make sense. I only consider one part of the discussion. Figuring out the size before installing will be very helpful

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back