What size return pump for a Red Sea Reefer 525 G2

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve been in the hobby for a couple of decades, but none of my tanks have ever had a sump (all HOB and canister filtration).

I’m purchasing a G2 Red Sea Reefer 525 and wondering how many gph my return pump should have. Red Sea recommends a flow rate of 1,600 gph, but of course that doesn’t include head pressure. And it seems like a lot of flow through a 32 gal sump. I’ll have the 1200 Reefmat and a Red Sea 300 skimmer (it’s an LPS and softie tank).

I figure I’ll have about 5 feet of head pressure. Was looking at a 1,500 gph A/C Sicce (I’m not looking for the controllability of a D/C pump). Does this seem like a good choice for flow rate?

Thanks!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very happy with my Simplicity 1000 and 1600 Pumps. Both Dead Silent. 10 different flow settings. They keep their settings in the event of a power failure. 10 minutes feed button, so you don’t have to remember to turn the pump(s) back on. They always ramp up slowly on any restart.

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually try to shoot for 8-10 cycles an hour, so probably 950-1200gph at 5' head pressure would be what I would aim for. I have had good luck with my Fluval sump pump, but I really do like Sicce pumps as well. Danner is a good cheap option, but they are louder and run hotter.

Your sump size should probably be fine. I have a 45 gallon sump under my 250gal tank with LifeReef skimmer and a large UV light. That said, my tank doesn't have crazy cycles between sump and display.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a Red Sea 525XL. Return pump is a Varios 8. I run it at 60% and my flow is about 460 gph measured with a neptune flow meter. I have modified my sump a bit where I've installed a UV sterilizer in line with the return. There's also a Reefmat 500 and an oversized skimmer.

I would definitely go with a DC pump. The benefits outweigh the extra cost. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
LPS Bum

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a Red Sea 525XL. Return pump is a Varios 8. I run it at 60% and my flow is about 460 gph measured with a neptune flow meter. I have modified my sump a bit where I've installed a UV sterilizer in line with the return. There's also a Reefmat 500 and an oversized skimmer.

I would definitely go with a DC pump. The benefits outweigh the extra cost. Just my two cents.
Thanks, that’s helpful.

So your Reefmat, plumbing and UV restrict the flow that much (down from 1600 gph to 460 gph)? I guess I wasn’t expecting that kind of reduction.

What led you to get the 500 Reefmat instead of the 1200? I’m debating between the two.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that’s helpful.

So your Reefmat, plumbing and UV restrict the flow that much (down from 1600 gph to 460 gph)? I guess I wasn’t expecting that kind of reduction.

What led you to get the 500 Reefmat instead of the 1200? I’m debating between the two.
All the extra 90s cut down on the flow. Total from start to finish there are 5. It's 1 inch out of the pump until I have to match back up to the red sea pipe which is metric but essentially 3/4.

Since flow rate wasn't a concern I went with the 500 due to the size difference. Also I have a giant skimmer so I was trying to conserve space to have room for maintenance. The Reefmat is great.

Rskiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently completing my build of a 525 G2. I am running a Neptune COR20 return at 75% which with head height equates to about 1300 gal/hr. Also, I have the RSK600 and the Reefmat 1200. The flow seems about right for the 10x turnover I was shooting for.

OP
OP
LPS Bum

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently completing my build of a 525 G2. I am running a Neptune COR20 return at 75% which with head height equates to about 1300 gal/hr. Also, I have the RSK600 and the Reefmat 1200. The flow seems about right for the 10x turnover I was shooting for.
Thanks.

Do you find that the Reefmat 1200 and the 600 skimmer take up too much room in the sump? I was considering the smaller sizes because I wanted a bit of room in the sump for maintenance and flexibility. But then again my tank is LPS and softies, not SPS.

Rskiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1200 and 600 fit fine. There is even plenty of room to get the media basket out easily from under the Reefmat. I also have a Nyos reactor running in the fuge area along with a COR15 sending water to a Zeovit reactor.

I also left the flexible tube from the drain pipe to the Reefmat a few inches longer so that I can slide it left and right to access the return chamber. There is plenty of room for the way I use the sump and consider appropriate for working space.

Modge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef Octopus VarioS-6 I’m using this pump on my Reefer 625, it should work great for a 525 also.​

Second the Varios S-6…That’s what I chose for my 525 G2 based on flow rate, features, and I’ve had their power heads on another tank for multiple years without any issue. I especially like the easy pause for feeding and water changes.

That said - I’m still waiting on my LFS to drop ship my 525 g2! So I don’t have hands on experience with how it operates inside the 525.

Matt13H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second the Varios S-6…That’s what I chose for my 525 G2 based on flow rate, features, and I’ve had their power heads on another tank for multiple years without any issue. I especially like the easy pause for feeding and water changes.

That said - I’m still waiting on my LFS to drop ship my 525 g2! So I don’t have hands on experience with how it operates inside the 525.
I’m using a Varios 6 on the lowest setting. It seems like the down flow from my main tank can’t keep up with output of the return pump… I’m struggling a bit here. (Sorry for jumping on this post!)

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a Varios 6 on the lowest setting. It seems like the down flow from my main tank can’t keep up with output of the return pump… I’m struggling a bit here. (Sorry for jumping on this post!)
We're u using the Varios 6 on a 525? I have to mess with my drain valve constantly to keep my tank running quiet. Wondering if I have my Varios 6 up to high at level 3

WunderWagen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running a Vectra M2 pump on my 525XL with no issues... running at 100%, but nice to have the ability to turn it down to 1% during tank maintenance using the app control.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back