What size screw for 1”x6” wood using a kreg jig?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finally getting down to building the front of my tank stand. The first step is the frame, which will all be 1”x6” wood. What size screw will be best for putting it together with a kreg jig. FYI the wood is actually 1x6. I got 1x8 and had it cut down. Thanks!!!

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finally getting down to building the front of my tank stand. The first step is the frame, which will all be 1”x6” wood. What size screw will be best for putting it together with a kreg jig. FYI the wood is actually 1x6. I got 1x8 and had it cut down. Thanks!!!

1 1/2". Don't forget to pick either coarse or fine thread depending on your species of wood.

Also, you cut it down from 8 to 6 but is it really 1" thick or is it 3/4"?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 1/2". Don't forget to pick either coarse or fine thread depending on your species of wood.

Also, you cut it down from 8 to 6 but is it really 1" thick or is it 3/4"?
I guess it would be 3/4” if that’s how they come. The wood is spruce

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its a 1 1/4" screw if its 3/4" thick. Either way its coarse thread as spruce is a softwood.
Thank you! I know nothing about this. I’ve never used the kreg before.

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I know nothing about this. I’ve never used the kreg before.

Not to worry, its handy for making face frames like it sound like you are doing. You may want to invest in a face clamp to help you keep everything in line if you've never done it before. It makes a difference if your new to keeping both faces flush with each other. One is enough.

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your jig should have come with a chart of which screws to use for various situations. I’m sure they have the information on their website

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to worry, its handy for making face frames like it sound like you are doing. You may want to invest in a face clamp to help you keep everything in line if you've never done it before. It makes a difference if your new to keeping both faces flush with each other. One is enough.

I got one today. Thanks again!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I got the clamp and I have it set up to drill the first hole:
image.jpg

I’m planning to drill two holes for each joint 2” apart. So I drill the holes in this piece first then use the clamp to hold the other piece of wood to drill in the screws? Does the piece of wood I’m joining to this one need to be clamped to this one before I drill? I’m guessing it’s first you drill the holes, then you screw the pieces together. I’m also guessing that the jig doesnt drill into the second piece but the screw does. Does that make sense? I looked at a few videos but I’m still confused.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, place the larger side of the clamp on the face to hold the pieces flush. They can and do shift when torquing the screw resulting in Mis aligned pieces.
Screw several test pieces first If you are new to the concept. Ruskin above gave 100% dead on advice. Only thing I would add is that spruce/pine is very soft so it’s incredibly easy to over torque a screw and have it protrude through the finished face. Use a cordless drill with an adjustable clutch on a very light setting to make sure you don’t blast through the face. That also gives you the chance to perfect your drilling depth.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I did use a cordless drill but my maxi loc drill bit was too short so it didn’t drill in completely. I’ll have to get a longer one. Here’s what it looks like right now. The pieces are attached but not completely. Off to the hardware store once again!
6B61E0A7-6D18-4732-A680-AB18C02946EF.jpeg

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely spring for the better kreg jig set. Those holes look sloppy and the better jigs come with the bits you need. It will be much more precise, it’s only 40$

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All done!
I would definitely spring for the better kreg jig set. Those holes look sloppy and the better jigs come with the bits you need. It will be much more precise, it’s only 40$
It was my first go round. I got the long bits so next time it will be easier. I’ll also clamp the wood down better next time before I drill. Luckily this is on the back of the stand front so it won’t be visible. Which kreg are you talking about?

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice one, looks great for a first attempt. They probably mean this one

Unless you get into making more stuff what you have is fine to just pull out occasionally. I have the one I linked but I've also gotten my money's worth out of it because I used it on several projects.

You can also glue the joints before setting the screws for a stronger joint.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice one, looks great for a first attempt. They probably mean this one

Unless you get into making more stuff what you have is fine to just pull out occasionally. I have the one I linked but I've also gotten my money's worth out of it because I used it on several projects.

You can also glue the joints before setting the screws for a stronger joint.

I only build stuff for my tank. I think it’s a great tool! Next time I’ll secure the wood more carefully!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back