What size tangs for follow up additions

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a purple and blue tang in my tank with the purple being large at 5” and the blue small at 3”. Want to add either a yellow eyed mole tang or a white tail bristletooth tang with a couple additional wrasses and gobies going in at the same time. The purple will chase the blue around but never any damage. Would it be better adding one of these new tangs that are 4-5” in size or 2.5”? The larger would defend itself better but the smaller would have more hiding spots. I plan on hanging up a mirror as the purple will really get interested mainly in the mirror.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? How long have the other tangs been in the tank? No matter what you asking for trouble with the purple tang. What ever size i would remove the purple tang and let the new one get acclimated for a bit. At a minimum rearrange the rock work.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? How long have the other tangs been in the tank? No matter what you asking for trouble with the purple tang. What ever size i would remove the purple tang and let the new one get acclimated for a bit. At a minimum rearrange the rock work.
Yea the purple is tough. Would a gem tang be significantly more peaceful?

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size of your tank your best bet would be to remove the purple for a couple of days and then add him back together with the new yellow or gem.
tangs get a lot more aggressive when confined in smaller tanks. Specially as they grow.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Gem is very peaceful...... he’s my only tang though. If I were to add, it would be a yellow. They are certainly “distinct” and less aggressive than many other tangs

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wouldn’t add a gem unless I got rid of the purple. I plan to add either a yellow eye kole tangs or a white tail bristletooth tang. I will likely put the purple in the sump during acclimation and plan to add some rock work in the back of the tank to create a couple more caves. I guess I’ll likely see how bad the aggression is and if she is still a bully consider pulling her and replacing with a gem. Just a shame since she is a beautiful fish, nice and fat.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gem, purple, yellow... Going good so far.

Attachments

• PXL_20201121_025233471~2.jpg
    PXL_20201121_025233471~2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 37

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Introduced together or separately?
They are all in a QT together right now. At first, I used egg crate to separate them, also added mirrors. Then I slowly removed the egg crates and paired them. Now all are playing nicely now. I will intro them to the tank all at once.

Back