What size tank for my fish list?

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am wondering what size tank for my fish list. I want to make sure they will all get along. I was thinking 65 gallons but want some input. Tank will also be mixed reef. Thanks

pair clownfish
Pair fire fish
Royal gramma
Sixline wrasse
Coral beauty angel
Yellow watchman goby
Clown goby
Pair banggai cardinal fish
Blue Dragonet

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 60-70 gallon tank should be able to handle that amount of fish. Just make sure to have a lot of caves and perches for the fish so there are no territory or aggression issues (especially from the sixline). Are you planning on getting an AIO tank or will you be drilling and plumbing it?

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 60-70 gallon tank should be able to handle that amount of fish. Just make sure to have a lot of caves and perches for the fish so there are no territory or aggression issues (especially from the sixline). Are you planning on getting an AIO tank or will you be drilling and plumbing it?
Hello, I was thinking AIO tank. I was looking at the waterbox 65.4. So I would say it’s closer to 50 gallons due to 15 gallons is the back chambers. Would that make a difference? Thanks

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of your planned fish should be fine for a 65g. I'd suggest, however, that you go with a different mix...

-clowns can be very territorial, and not fun to keep if you don't want fish divebombing your hands every time you put them in the tank.

-cardinals and firefish tend to be shy and skittish; most cardinals are also not the most energetic tank inhabitants, but just swim statically in the water column. Is that what you want?

-I haven't had a problem with my sixline. I added it last, though.

-Dragonets are a poor choice for a new tank.

There's a lot of other alternatives that you may want to look at, including everyone's favourite whipping-boy, the captive-bred orchid dottyback. They're truly gorgeous fish and I wouldn't want a reef without them. Although many claim them to be aggressive, I've never seen that with them.

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was thinking AIO tank. I was looking at the waterbox 65.4. So I would say it’s closer to 50 gallons due to 15 gallons is the back chambers. Would that make a difference? Thanks
I think that if you added fish slowly (with the wrasse being last) and you have a good filtration system and plan to deal with nutrients then it should be possible. As long as you think all the fish will be able to hang out in their respective zones without getting crowded or harassed then I’d say go for it :)

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of your planned fish should be fine for a 65g. I'd suggest, however, that you go with a different mix...

-clowns can be very territorial, and not fun to keep if you don't want fish divebombing your hands every time you put them in the tank.

-cardinals and firefish tend to be shy and skittish; most cardinals are also not the most energetic tank inhabitants, but just swim statically in the water column. Is that what you want?

There's a lot of other alternatives that you may want to look at, including everyone's favourite whipping-boy, the captive-bred orchid dottyback. They're truly gorgeous fish and I wouldn't want a reef without them. Although many claim them to be aggressive, I've never seen that with them.

I definitely agree that you should take the fishes temperaments into consideration when thinking about when to introduce what fish. Also I missed the dragonet at the end of your list and I agree that it’s not a fish you would be able to easily keep in a tank that size unless you got one that you know eats pellets or frozen foods as they are fussy eaters and have a particular diet.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello, well I figure the tank was not that big and feel that firefish and cardinals would go great in there. I would be okay without the dragonet.
now I have heard horror stories with six line. I do plan to had that fish last.

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am wondering what size tank for my fish list. I want to make sure they will all get along. I was thinking 65 gallons but want some input. Tank will also be mixed reef. Thanks

pair clownfish
Pair fire fish
Royal gramma
Sixline wrasse
Coral beauty angel
Yellow watchman goby
Clown goby
Pair banggai cardinal fish
Blue Dragonet
Sounds like a great stocking list, but if you are planning to make a reef tank, maybe reconsider the coral beauty as they are known to nip at coral. I have heard that some people have had luck with the coral beauty and have had no problems with the coral, while others have had the angel constantly nip at corals, killing or damaging them. If thats a risk you are willing to take than you can go ahead and get one. Best of luck with the new tank!

Tim slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that if your going for your first tank you would want to go as biog as you can that is what I did I started with a large tank and it was easy for me and I'm only 15 lol

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sixline said that was I sulting to him!! My little sixline, Henry, he is a plump cute boy he would never hurt anyone.

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great stocking list, but if you are planning to make a reef tank, maybe reconsider the coral beauty as they are known to nip at coral. I have heard that some people have had luck with the coral beauty and have had no problems with the coral, while others have had the angel constantly nip at corals, killing or damaging them. If thats a risk you are willing to take than you can go ahead and get one. Best of luck with the new tank!
What I did when I added my valentini puffer was let me reef establish and corals grow and then added him so that he wouldn't be able to kill the coral back. I think if you follow a plan similar to this one the coral beauty would be okay to add. Just don't let it kill the corals obviously. My puffer only nips at them sometimes which upsets them sure, but they don't die back and are happy within the next 30 minutes again.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back