What Sounds Do You Enjoy From Your Aquarium?

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a silent tank BUT, I have one of those white noise machines in my tank cabinet that makes crashing wave sounds. I run it 24/7 on low volume. I find that soothing.
Very cool idea!!!

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool idea!!!
Got it off Amazon. It’s one of the nicer ones I’ve seen. Has many more sounds than others I’ve looked at.
E2074661-2415-4CA8-99DB-24FAE0D7916F.jpeg

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me any of the aquarium sounds are mostly pleasant in the sense that "everything is running". Complete silence would mean something's broken and we better all panic!

That said, the best was my Tunze 9004 skimmer. My old tank was completely silent except for that. And it wasn't a mechanical sound, it was just the sound of the bubbles. A gentle white noise. I think my new tank has too much going on to ever be that quiet.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me any of the aquarium sounds are mostly pleasant in the sense that "everything is running". Complete silence would mean something's broken and we better all panic!

That said, the best was my Tunze 9004 skimmer. My old tank was completely silent except for that. And it wasn't a mechanical sound, it was just the sound of the bubbles. A gentle white noise. I think my new tank has too much going on to ever be that quiet.
Great insight about the white noise!

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HATE every single sound coming from my tank except one. That is my pistol shrimp popping. I love hearing that.

Everything else has to be less loud than the ventilation system in my apartment.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HATE every single sound coming from my tank except one. That is my pistol shrimp popping. I love hearing that.

Everything else has to be less loud than the ventilation system in my apartment.
That’s the second post about Pistol shrimp - I’m going to have to check them out!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a very interesting segment on the Canadian CBC radio show "Quirks and Quarks" this afternoon in which the interviewed scientist presented sounds collected with a hydrophone from a rehabilitated reef. It sounded, as the host suggested, like a jungle, with a number of fish making laughing or knocking noises. Clownfish in particular were noted for making sounds like door knocks with their teeth.

Has anyone used a hydrophone to record their reefs? I'm tempted.

Dodge Ram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sound of the bedroom door shutting. The ocean sounds are great, but sometimes you gotta sleep. :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back