What species of hermit crab is this?

icereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend has a few hermit crabs in his rock/fish tank and he has no idea what species they are. Can anyone give an ID so I can find information on wether they're reef safe or not?

He wants to give me one for my tank and I'm planning on having corals and inverts

ABAF98DF-9AA6-4465-AC91-9A1EE351B48E.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe blue band hermit?

Pagurus samuelis​

It doesn't seem to have the blue band, but I think your right on the genus there. I'd also guess Pagurus sp. but I don't know which one. The few I know that might fit the bill are as safe as hermit crabs come though (P. hirsuitiusculus and P. pollicaris seem the most likely that I know, but there are a ton of species in the genus, and it might be another one).

OP
OP
I

icereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't seem to have the blue band, but I think your right on the genus there. I'd also guess Pagurus sp. but I don't know which one. The few I know that might fit the bill are as safe as hermit crabs come though (P. hirsuitiusculus and P. pollicaris seem the most likely that I know, but there are a ton of species in the genus, and it might be another one).
P. hirsuitiusculus might fit because the ones my friend has faint blue lines going up the legs. The claws are rather slim and one is not bigger than the other.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back