What SPS eating pest is this?

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something has been eating my SPS and I finally caught them in the act. What are these? They don't look like the red or black bug pictures I found when I did a quick search.
pest2 (1 of 1).jpg
pest (1 of 1).jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like young Pseudoceros bifurcus also referred to as racing stripe flatworm

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just look like common baby bristle worms to me - cleaning up the leftovers.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like an amphipod

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will say the pods are only eating coral that are dead or dieing. However I watched pods eat the skirt off one of my rfas. And plenty of other horror stories about them eating zoas and other corals if you Google it.
Good thing is melafix kills them pretty quickly.
Get yourself a good natural predator like a wrasse. I got a red corris wrasse and pods literally try to crawl out of my shallow frag tables.
Its also super satisfying watching the wrasse catch the adults and watch wrasse shake and smash the pods to pieces against the rocks.
I'm a firm believer that if left unchecked certain pods will explode and not enough natural food source and no natural predator they will wreak havoc.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some will say the pods are only eating coral that are dead or dieing. However I watched pods eat the skirt off one of my rfas. And plenty of other horror stories about them eating zoas and other corals if you Google it.
Good thing is melafix kills them pretty quickly.
Get yourself a good natural predator like a wrasse. I got a red corris wrasse and pods literally try to crawl out of my shallow frag tables.
Its also super satisfying watching the wrasse catch the adults and watch wrasse shake and smash the pods to pieces against the rocks.
I'm a firm believer that if left unchecked certain pods will explode and not enough natural food source and no natural predator they will wreak havoc.
That red coris isnt terrorizing your tank? I had a beauty and it spent all day pulling and flipping my coral and frags and know of at least 20 people with same experience.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That red coris isnt terrorizing your tank? I had a beauty and it spent all day pulling and flipping my coral and frags and know of at least 20 people with same experience.
No believe it or not its a model citizen so far. Still a baby though. So far so good.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to bring it with me yesterday. Here are the images.
Pest5.jpg
Pest3.jpg

Pest4.jpg
this is a type of Asellota isopod, I have never heard of a coral eating species ever before. How do the damaged marks present themselves?

OP
OP
Cook

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It possible it's simply guilt by association. If it's a Asellota isopod as you say and it's known to be non harmful, then I will move on to other potential causes.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It possible it's simply guilt by association. If it's a Asellota isopod as you say and it's known to be non harmful, then I will move on to other potential causes.
i remember the ther day someone had animals presenting themselves as a possible coral pest and when the corals were dipped, surprise flatworms came springing off the piece of coral lol.

the initial animal i ccant remember off the top, ill have to check notes

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i remember the ther day someone had animals presenting themselves as a possible coral pest and when the corals were dipped, surprise flatworms came springing off the piece of coral lol.

the initial animal i ccant remember off the top, ill have to check notes
spionid worms in this case, something well known as harmless

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back