What started the notion that upon completing your first nitrogen cycle you are ready for CORAL?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, your point is good but if a novice reefer puts corals in a freshly cycled tank they may not die immediately and may appear ok for several months before showing stress signs and dying. As we both mentioned though, very experienced reefers can have better success rates but the majority of novice reefers will fail at some level. I believe it has to do with tank maturity. My tank at 14 months is significantly more stable and biodiverse then it was at one month. I could toss a frag in and let it float to the bottom by itself and it would survive. No way I could expect that on my tank at 2 weeks when my cycle was complete. I am a novice reefer but have significantly freshwater experience and I study the hobby diligently. My 14 month old tank is thriving but there were ups and downs on my journey so far.
Is your tank more stable because it's more mature? or is it more stable because you have learned and honed your hobby? Can you quantify in any meaningful way that it is more biodiverse (when talking about microorganisms) than my tank was in week 2?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just asking for some visual confirmation to these claims. Im not allowed to question things? Seems bullish

Ok... This is your baby, your opinion and your thread. Where is YOUR visual evidence to back up your statements?

You make a blanket comment and expect everyone else to provide visual evidence or scientific data to back up their claims.. Where is YOURS?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank more stable because it's more mature? or is it more stable because you have learned and honed your hobby? Can you quantify in any meaningful way that it is more biodiverse (when talking about microorganisms) than my tank was in week 2?
I think both are applicable. I'm quite sure maturity means more biodiversity and microfauna available but developing personal reefing skills plays a key role also.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are conflating 2 different things and maybe the OP meant different then what he originally posted but if someone has a coral die 6 months after adding it to the tank, I think it’s totally unrelated to whether they cycled their tank 1 day before or 2 years before adding that coral. I think you are getting at water stability and other benefits that come along with experience and tank maturity. You have already mentioned that you agree experienced (or knowledgeable) reefers can add corals day 1 and not have issues, probably because they know the needs of the corals they are adding and how to troubleshoot issues. Again not dependent on how long your tank has been cycled.
I think what they were getting at is that corals can take weeks if not months to show outward signs of a stress event and that at less than a month old it’s a little early to be claiming that adding corals early in a the cycle didn’t negatively affect anything (they’re most likely fine, but it’s too early to make a definitive claim).

There is a difference between an absolute statement and a generalization that is lost on folks. Perhaps I should have been more specific with that particular wording to something like "Tank "maturity" plays 0 role in the over all health of most corals" As I stated in my first post/reply I wouldn't recommend someone put in a $150 Acro frag on day 1, but hardy LPS and Soft corals should be fine.

The problem with using "Tank Maturity" as a matter of nomenclature is that it cannot be quantified. An old tank is not necessarily a mature tank, although it can be, and a new tank, does not necessarily lack maturity, though most of the time it does. You can't teach someone what a "mature" tank is, because the invisible factors cannot be tested for and separated. You say it yourself, it's a theory that it's bacterial in nature, but we cannot quantify that with any data.

What we CAN quantify is that my micromussa lord (among several others) was able to be placed in the tank 3 days into the cycle, and is still around today, happy and healthy, and that there are plenty of other corals that are in the same boat. And, the added benefit with adding different corals, early on, from different locations and LFS, is that they all come with the bacterial colonies of proven, established systems...
I don’t disagree with you that it’s difficult to quantify, and that it takes experience to be able to identify when a tank is mature (though there are definite clues). But even if it’s hard to quantify or not fully understood, IME saying ‘tank maturity plays 0 role in coral health’ is an objectively false statement (just like saying that it’s a lie that corals can be kept from day one). It really just comes down to the species.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say a tank cycled with complete dry dead rock is bio equivalent to a tank started with all live ocean rock? Of course not right, the mature ocean rock offers a significant advantage in tank start up.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank "maturity" plays 0 role in coral health. Good stable parameters are not achieved by a mature tank, they are achieved by a mature and dedicated reefer. It doesn't take an expert to put corals in a tank day one and have them survive, it just takes someone who has the fundamentals down...

I agree. There is a superstition in the hobby that you need a magical number of days for a tank to have been running in order for coral to live. The same goes for anemones. I believe the issue is the keeper not being in rhythm with their tank.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think both are applicable. I'm quite sure maturity means more biodiversity and microfauna available but developing personal reefing skills plays a key role also.
Sure, both are important... However, and this is my opinion, your growth in the hobby is playing the larger role in parameter stability than your micofauna are. I agree with you in that when you were a novice, adding a coral in the second week would have been a fatal flaw for that coral most likely. However, I also believe, that given what you know now, if you started a new tank tomorrow, you would be able to add corals to it immediately and be successful.

I don’t disagree with you that it’s difficult to quantify, and that it takes experience to be able to identify when a tank is mature (though there are definite clues). But even if it’s hard to quantify or not fully understood, IME saying ‘tank maturity plays 0 role in coral health’ is an objectively false statement (just like saying that it’s a lie that corals can be kept from day one). It really just comes down to the species.
Agreed, which is why I amended it... I was generalizing, and the generalized statement was false, however, the spirit of the statement given the other information I had already supplied, was that it definitely doesn't apply to every coral, and most corals are fine without the "maturity", not all, but definitely most Sofies and Hardier LPS species...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible the water was to clean at that point.. I lost a few corals when I added early because phosphates and other nutrients were to low... I started with a Domino damsel in a 150 pond.

I know people who have had coral in brand new tanks die from a tank basically having no nitrogen (or phosphate) input like you said.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is merit in believing in the benefits of a “mature” tank if we are talking about biodiversity. From a microbiome perspective, I can guarantee there to be less diversity in a tank that was setup for only 2 weeks compared to one that is setup for a year. This diversity can definitely be quantified but the benefits from this diversity are what can only be inferred by comparing to other systems. If you look at the gut microbiome in people, people who are healthier have much more balanced and diverse populations of gut flora. If there was more funding in this hobby for research, I’m sure you could identify and measure what specific benefits are added by having a tank with more diverse and balanced micro and macro fauna.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that this thread highlights is how much superstition drives behavior in this hobby. It is actually pretty fascinating haha

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not willing to agree that putting corals in early on is a death sentence for the corals, but as long as it's all aquacultured frags anyway, who cares if a new reefer kills a few corals while they are trying to get it right?

The wild reef is not harmed. It's not like corals are sentient. Who cares?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is merit in believing in the benefits of a “mature” tank if we are talking about biodiversity. From a microbiome perspective, I can guarantee there to be less diversity in a tank that was setup for only 2 weeks compared to one that is setup for a year. This diversity can definitely be quantified but the benefits from this diversity are what can only be inferred by comparing to other systems. If you look at the gut microbiome in people, people who are healthier have much more balanced and diverse populations of gut flora. If there was more funding in this hobby for research, I’m sure you could identify and measure what specific benefits are added by having a tank with more diverse and balanced micro and macro fauna.
I was hoping someone would say what you just said here, and don't get me wrong, I am TOTALLY not against biodiversity in fact I am a huge proponent of it. The issue I take is with how "maturity" is measured, and while you and others may not mean to, you attach timeframes to maturity, which we all do to some degree, but it's something I try to stay away from.

So what if I was to tell you, that I started my tank with my LFS's used Biomedia, Miracle Mud from IPSF, Actual Live Sand from the ocean, and actual Australian Live Rock, and on day 1 I also added copepods, amphipods, phytoplankton, and ghost fed the tank while waiting for my fish to arrive. Would you still say that after 2 weeks, my tank was less mature than his tank?

I'm just trying to break a habit here that is occurring with the trend of talking about "Mature" systems...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes well. It's Friday evening and I'm 2 whiskeys in.... Sorry for my "faux paux"
See user name.

I Understand Will Ferrell GIF by reactionseditor

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it vaguely amusing how these threads evolve. So many opinions. So many "half-truths"

Almost everyone here has a valid point in what they say, but nobody that I have seen has really touched on the whole truth in full.

Yes, a tank can have corals from day 1 and they will live and even thrive in some cases. Yes, a mature tank will handle changes better than a newer setup. Yes, some corals will do better in certain circumstances more than others. Yes, a seasoned reefer will be better at ensuring that a coral introduced early will survive and thrive. Yes, it is possible for a newbie to achieve the same results if he or she dedicated their time to ensure it happens. Yes, it is possible to set up a frag tank and have the corals survive and be viable enough to promote sales at a setting such as a coral show.

What does all of this mean? What is it all worth in respect to those of us who are trying to promote our hobby and teach the newcomers?

What IS the truth here?

Saw a few posts that related a newcomers panic that they "Added corals too soon" yet they are still going strong.

The TRUTH is, there is no truth. This is all trial and error! From the most seasoned 50+ year veteran to the newest newcomer. We are ALL learning every day. That is what makes this hobby so fantastic! The realization that there IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG! We do what feels best at the time and live with the results, good or bad. And then relay our OWN experience so that others can learn.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to defining tank maturity! This is like full R2R circle for me lol my first thread on here besides my build thread was a discussion asking “What makes a tank ‘mature’?”

I think what is triggering to me about this, is that it puts people who do tons of research both online and at their lfs or with local hobbyists and who put a lot of time and preparation into setting up their first tank with the people who saw Dory at the petco grabbed a 10g tank and some salt off the shelf and plopped them into a tank and a week later come on here and ask why their fish is playing dead on the bottom of the tank.

This is why the absolutisms don’t work, the spectrum of people on this forum is too wide.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back