What sumps are people using on their 200+ tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering using the triton method on my new build. Tank is 225g. Will be SPS dominant but will have a little of everything.
I was going to have a custom sump built, using the synergy Triton style refugium sump as a platform.

Open to suggestions! Sump will be under the stand.

The TS-44 advertises that it’s good for tanks up to 200g. I attached the specs for the sump. Anyone with this sump have their opinions.

TS-44 Triton Style Refugium Sump

• Dimensions: 44″ long x 18″ wide x 18″ high
  • Refugium Section: 13.25″ x 17.5″ (Approximately 17 Gallons)
  • Skimmer Section: 16.25″ x 17.5″
  • Return Pump Section: 6.75″ x 17.5″
  • Total Water Volume: 58 gallons

What sump is everyone using on their 200+ tanks?

Thanks

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t find a stock sump tank I was happy with so I had one custom made by elite aquatics. 100g, 60 inch

056B754E-F064-4CBC-B87C-0C1CE1B0CC1A.jpeg

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a standard 75g tank, but am in a basement sump room and dont need to worry about space

Gonzalo.Olivares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m using Triton other methods in my Reefer 750 because the sump is not suitable for the refugium. The main problem is that I have a big skimmer (Royal Exclusiv Double Cone 250).

I spoke with the Triton distributor in Mexico (where I live) and he told me that he can import precisely a Trigger Systems sump for me at a very good cost.

So I’m ordering a special one, based in the TS-44 but with this measurements:

Dimensions: 44” long x 21” wide x 16” high
Skimmer Section: 14” x 20.5” (Royal Exclusiv Double Cone 250)
Return Pump: 6” x 20.5”

It will fit perfectly the cabinet of the Red Sea aquarium and will comply with Triton specifications.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about 8 months I used a 20 gallon long on my 200 gallon. o_O Now I've got a Trigger 34.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using an old 180 tank with my 350 gallon display, and a shallow reef 150 gallon all plumbed together. I put my own baffles in. I use about a 60% for the refugium and have one drain line going into it. I use about 20% for a lot of extra rock and the skimmer pump where the other drain line from the 350 and the ones from my 150 come in, and about 20% for the return pumps that is fed by both the refugium and skimmer sides; two for my 350, one for my 150, and one that goes through my UV filter and back into the section that feeds the skimmer. It's been going great for almost 4 years.

I know some people really love having a nice looking sump, and feel good about paying the big money to have one. That's not me. I just couldn't see paying a lot of money when I got the 180 for almost nothing, cut some glass and used silicone to put in the baffle design I wanted and spent under $250 total for a perfectly working 180 gallon sump that nobody ever sees. What they do see is the extra coral I could afford to put in my display tanks.

Last edited:

dputt88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using a 75 gal wide tank. it was cheap and already had the baffles in it. however u need to work out how to get less water to draw down when i turn the pump off for feeding

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t find a stock sump tank I was happy with so I had one custom made by elite aquatics. 100g, 60 inch

056B754E-F064-4CBC-B87C-0C1CE1B0CC1A.jpeg

That’s a beautiful sump. Wish I had the room but I’m trying to keep everything under the stand. Are you gonna be using the filter socks?

I'm using a standard 75g tank, but am in a basement sump room and dont need to worry about space

Would be the dream but my fiancé doesn’t want holes drilled into the floor. I’m going to investigate what I can do with the crawl space. Next to the basement.

I´m using Triton other methods in my Reefer 750 because the sump is not suitable for the refugium. The main problem is that I have a big skimmer (Royal Exclusiv Double Cone 250).

I spoke with the Triton distributor in Mexico (where I live) and he told me that he can import precisely a Trigger Systems sump for me at a very good cost.

So I’m ordering a special one, based in the TS-44 but with this measurements:

Dimensions: 44” long x 21” wide x 16” high
Skimmer Section: 14” x 20.5” (Royal Exclusiv Double Cone 250)
Return Pump: 6” x 20.5”

It will fit perfectly the cabinet of the Red Sea aquarium and will comply with Triton specifications.

Would love to see pictures once you get it setup!!! I have a bigger skimmer also. I have the bubble king supermarin 200. Now I’m thinking of selling it and maybe getting one with the pump built into the body of the skimmer.

For about 8 months I used a 20 gallon long on my 200 gallon. o_O Now I've got a Trigger 34.

How did the 20L work out for you?

I’ll have to look into them. The 60” is too big for me. Trying to keep things nice and neat under the stand. If I had a remote sump I would love it.

I'm using an old 180 tank with my 350 gallon display, and a shallow reef 150 gallon all plumbed together. I put my own baffles in. I use about a 60% for the refugium and have one drain line going into it. I use about 20% for a lot of extra rock and the skimmer pump where the other drain line from the 350 and the ones from my 150 come in, and about 20% for the return pumps that is fed by both the refugium and skimmer sides; two for my 350, one for my 150, and one that goes through my UV filter and back into the section that feeds the skimmer. It's been going great for almost 4 years.

I know some people really love having a nice looking sump, and feel good about paying the big money to have one. That's not me. I just couldn't see paying a lot of money when I got the 180 for almost nothing, cut some glass and used silicone to put in the baffle design I wanted and spent under $250 total for a perfectly working 180 gallon sump that nobody ever sees. What they do see is the extra coral I could afford to put in my display tanks.

That sounds like a crazy setup. Do you happen to have a build threat. Would love to check it out.

Synergy has high quality sumps. Ive had zero issues with all the sumps Ive had from Synergy in the past. Heres my current one. I think @bknapp has one of the newest ones from them.

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

Yeah they are solid. I’ve never seen one outside of displays at the show but I’ve always been impressed. I would jump on their setup if it was a little bigger.

Im using a 75 gal wide tank. it was cheap and already had the baffles in it. however u need to work out how to get less water to draw down when i turn the pump off for feeding

How big is your display?

Using a trigger system Sapphire 39 on my 225

How is that working out for you? Is the refugium enough for you? Are you running triton core or triton other methods?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the 20L work out for you?

I got by with it.My skimmer was recirculating so I basically had my filter socks, algae scrubber, media reactor, and return pump in there. Every time I had to turn the return pump off it was a race to empty enough water out of the sump to keep it from overflowing.

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliment on my sump. I will have a build thread coming soon.

I’m doing a in Wall tank and that sump was designed to be about as big as I could get under the stand in the wall.

Not sure yet on the filter socks. I wanted them just in case. I’ve used them in the past, but also curious about these filter baskets I’ve seen lately.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trigger systems sump is working really good it fits all the equipment I need and still have room under my stand. I have triton other methods but haven't started using it yet. The refugium section is too small for full triton.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back