What T5 bulbs are you running on your hybrid fixture?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3x hydra 26 with 2xATI blue+, a coral+, and a purple+
@declanisadog Can you post a picture of your tank or send some to me? I was thinking about trying this combo out. I put 4 blue plus in my aquatic life w 3 kessil 360x at the suggestion of a friend with killer acro color but it’s very blue for me. Ive been thinking about trying your exact combo so I would love to see it w just T5 and then T5 plus LED If you have pics to share.

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@declanisadog Can you post a picture of your tank or send some to me? I was thinking about trying this combo out. I put 4 blue plus in my aquatic life w 3 kessil 360x at the suggestion of a friend with killer acro color but it’s very blue for me. Ive been thinking about trying your exact combo so I would love to see it w just T5 and then T5 plus LED If you have pics to share.
Turn turn the blues down and maybe add some green on the kessils. It might balance out enough for your liking

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry for the delayed response. I have the 36” aquatic life with 2 kessil 360X’s, 2 36” reefbrites and I added 2 single T5 fixtures for a total of 6 bulbs. Front to back T5 bulbs ( blue+, blue +, purple +, coral+, blue+, blue+ ). I’ve never experienced the disco ball effect even when I had 360WE’s. The growth was good but even better since the reefbrites and 2 T5 bulb add ons. I put the reefbrites and the extra 2 T5’s on in the same week. I call it Frankenlight lol.
FD1AD61D-6CED-465E-9A3D-29BF5C5426EA.jpeg
@Michael Packard thats a ****** looking hybrid. Can you post tank pics of how that looks?

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry for the delayed response. I have the 36” aquatic life with 2 kessil 360X’s, 2 36” reefbrites and I added 2 single T5 fixtures for a total of 6 bulbs. Front to back T5 bulbs ( blue+, blue +, purple +, coral+, blue+, blue+ ). I’ve never experienced the disco ball effect even when I had 360WE’s. The growth was good but even better since the reefbrites and 2 T5 bulb add ons. I put the reefbrites and the extra 2 T5’s on in the same week. I call it Frankenlight lol.
FD1AD61D-6CED-465E-9A3D-29BF5C5426EA.jpeg
sorry for my delayed reply. Love the picture it really helps to see the setup. I’m going to do a very similarly setup. Except in the middle I’ll using Mithras and one the outside I’m still debating between the reefbrites versus Atlantic strip lights. I keep hoping that AquaticLife will come-out with a 6 bulb fixture which would solve part of my problem

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessils don't produce the disco-ball effect; the colors blend exceptionally well. They do produce extreme caustic lines within the aquarium (i.e. shimmer). The T5s mute this substantially and you can end up with something that looks quite natural between the two of them. Unless you like an extremely blue tank, I'd advise against the Blue+/Actinic combo. Heavy blues can make some fish and corals very bland in appearance. Blue corals like the cali or oregon torts that are gorgeous in a "whiter" appearing tank aren't even noticed in a "bluer" tank. Having a yellow acro next to a cali tort (for example) makes for amazing contrast and provides a big visual impact (same with reds next to greens).

Edit: I'll try to snag a video this evening when the reflections aren't so bad. I have four Kessils with six T5s (B+, ABS, B+, P+, ABS, B+).
Thanks for all the really good detail here - especially on how you have managed the shimmer

EliteSocial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info in this thread

I wanted to see if anybody had suggestions on photo period Time for the T5 bulbs

I am currently doing four hours

I have four reef LED 90s over a 6 foot 220 water box peninsula
With 4 blue special bulbs from ATI In an aquatic life hybrid fixture

Thinking I am going to rent the power meter from bulk re-supply and try to get some readings to see when I’m pulling cause I’m almost worried I have a little too much light during the peak LED. In the four hour window the T5 bulbs are on

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info in this thread

I wanted to see if anybody had suggestions on photo period Time for the T5 bulbs

I am currently doing four hours

I have four reef LED 90s over a 6 foot 220 water box peninsula
With 4 blue special bulbs from ATI In an aquatic life hybrid fixture

Thinking I am going to rent the power meter from bulk re-supply and try to get some readings to see when I’m pulling cause I’m almost worried I have a little too much light during the peak LED. In the four hour window the T5 bulbs are on

I'd run the T5s at least 8 hours. Only positive results from the T5s. If they're dimmable, run them the entire photo period if you have to have a sun up/down.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some input on the lighting set up on my 180 gal mixed Reef (heavy SPS).

I plan on running the 61" Aquatic Life fixture with AB+ setting on my Radion XR30 Pro Gen 4. (3 lights). The T5's are probably going to be 1 Coral Plus, and 3 Blue+.

Curious what you all think of this lighting set up?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s great. I use kessils and 4 T5’s, 2 cP and 2Bp on my 180 mixed, heavy sps. Very happy with mine.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some input on the lighting set up on my 180 gal mixed Reef (heavy SPS).

I plan on running the 61" Aquatic Life fixture with AB+ setting on my Radion XR30 Pro Gen 4. (3 lights). The T5's are probably going to be 1 Coral Plus, and 3 Blue+.

Curious what you all think of this lighting set up?
I am having a new 365 gallon reef tank built that will be heavy SPS. I am going with two 48" Aquatic life hybrid fixtures with probably 1 coral plus, 2 Blue+ and 1 Actinic. I'll get my growth from this combo and get my pop from the GHL Mitras LX7 LCDs (awesome lights!)

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the photo time you run on the T5 and the leds?
T5's are dimmable. I ramp from 10am to noon. Full power to 4pm then ramp back down till 6pm when they go off. Kessils (4) I slow ramp from 8am to noon. Then full (color 60 intensity 40) from noon to 5 then ramp down to 8pm. I'm still bumping power up on the LED's a bit each week but the schedule remains the same.

Screenshot_20210616-183916.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back