What tank manufactures for an upgrade to a 180 or so.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in SoCal and I’m planning on upgrading to a larger tank, I currently have a 90G Cadlights, it needs to fit in my bedroom where my current tank is so around 200G max. Tv will go up on the wall, wife asked about the dresser and where it’s gonna go I responded with ‘will figure it out’ meaning once I have the tank the dresser can go wherever it might fit. Reason for upgrade is really for my fish as although I have a lot of them and a lot of corals they will need more room eventually. I bought my cadlights locally and they have a 178G I’m really considering. I don’t have any fancy controllers and such so keeping it simple is the plan. I’m only interested in glass tanks. I’ve looked at the Red Sea tanks I see posted on hear but they are really pricey and I don’t need all they offer. Buying local to SoCal will save me money on shipping, and also allow for some one on one help if necessary from the lfs I end up buying from. So I was just wondering about opinions from people local to SoCal that have glass tanks they are happy with they bought locally in the 180G to 200G range. For now I’m just looking for the tank, stand , and simple sump. Thanks for any ideas on brands.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SC Aquariums is located in SoCal, they are decent for the money.
Crystal Dynamics Aquariums is also located in SoCal. They are custom so will be more than SCA but reasonable for a custom tank and stand (atleast they were when I purchased one.)

I have a 270g from CDA and a 50 cube from SCA.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest SC Aquariums.
I have their 5ft 180 gallon.
You get the tank, sump, skimmer, plumbing and poplar birch stand and canopy for just over 3k with FREE shipping.
I'm sure you can save even more if you pick it up yourself.
You can add lights, return pump, powerheads and such from them if you like and have it all as a package deal.

Excellent quality and excellent Customer service.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
living in SoCal I bet you have tons of options, and getting local would def. safe some $$ like said SC is local to that area. save a few hundred on if you pickup. have you called around and asked a few LFS? they might have something setting there they could cut you a deal on.

all that said here are a few options for delivery to door that are still pretty good choices.
fijicube: https://www.fijicube.com/collections/full-set-aquarium-system
you can get a PNP system or just the tank in 3 options I really like that. 172 Is the biggest they go I believe.

proclear: https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...+3829&r=3951&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24
new to the market but there are a few ppl on here that have build threads going. worth looking into IMHO thay have a 220 at a great price!

if you need bigger then consider planet aquariums out of TX there prebuild matrix ( not rimless like the above) tanks I hear are nice but it just the tank for the price of a PNP from the above.

PS I have a fijicube nano great tank and I have had a SCA tank as well both great quality!

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from Red sea right now.
I've been seeing too many red sea tank seam blowout threads lately.
Besides, you can get much more tank for much less money with some of the other options presented in this thread.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest SC Aquariums.
I have their 5ft 180 gallon.
You get the tank, sump, skimmer, plumbing and poplar birch stand and canopy for just over 3k with FREE shipping.
I'm sure you can save even more if you pick it up yourself.
You can add lights, return pump, powerheads and such from them if you like and have it all as a package deal.

Excellent quality and excellent Customer service.

Yea I looked at that one but the 30inch depth is deal breaker.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
living in SoCal I bet you have tons of options, and getting local would def. safe some $$ like said SC is local to that area. save a few hundred on if you pickup. have you called around and asked a few LFS? they might have something setting there they could cut you a deal on.

all that said here are a few options for delivery to door that are still pretty good choices.
fijicube: https://www.fijicube.com/collections/full-set-aquarium-system
you can get a PNP system or just the tank in 3 options I really like that. 172 Is the biggest they go I believe.

proclear: https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...+3829&r=3951&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24
new to the market but there are a few ppl on here that have build threads going. worth looking into IMHO thay have a 220 at a great price!

if you need bigger then consider planet aquariums out of TX there prebuild matrix ( not rimless like the above) tanks I hear are nice but it just the tank for the price of a PNP from the above.

PS I have a fijicube nano great tank and I have had a SCA tank as well both great quality!
Ya I’ve already put the feelers out with my lfs’s and and sounds like that might be the way to go. It’s gonna replace my 90G Cadlights in my bedroom and 180 to 200G is as big as I can go lengthwise.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second Crystal Dynamic being in So Cal. If you can pick it up you’ll save a fair amount of cash. Pretty sure I saw on Instagram they’re running deals on standard sized tanks of 120 and 180g too.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from Red sea right now.
I've been seeing too many red sea tank seam blowout threads lately.
Besides, you can get much more tank for much less money with some of the other options presented in this thread.
Ya looked into Red Sea and the price alone compared to what others offer was an instant cross off the list.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I looked at that one but the 30inch depth is deal breaker.

For me, the 30inch depth was what sealed it.
I had a 110gallon the same depth and I loved it.
It was great space to scape and I had NO problem lighting the tank with growth from top to bottom.
I had it lit with 3 OceanRevive T-247's. I did not have them turned up past 45% blue and 20% white. I grew monties on the sandbed.

For my SCA 180, I have 1 ReefBreeders photon 50 v2+ with 1 ReefBreeders lumenbar HIgh Octan UV.
I will add T5's if I need more spread but reaching the bottom of the tank with useable light is NOT an issue.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back