What the heck are these? Do these eat coral

KayBabe785

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 weeks ago I notices after lights our these little guys in the glass. I've searched and searched and found matching pictures but no post anywhere has led to a definitive answer. Some say 'Sand Skaters' and they're harmless, some say a type of isopod, and the list goes on.

Fast forward to a few days ago and I noticed one of my Trachy has some receeding flesh. it wasn't much and near a frogspawn so I moved it farther away. Then 2 days after that I noticed my teal stylo is missing tissue. Still gets full extention during day, then today even more tissue gone. The Milka stylo near it has no missing tissue The Trachy flesh is receeding a little more. I dipped both today and in each dip both had these bugs. To be fair, bugs were on the plug or rock area where there is algae and before that I only saw them on the glass near algae so maybe that's what they were doing. I've never seem them where the flesh is damaged on either.

I did pull some out. They are not a chiton, a snail or a worm. The definitely have legs. They look very similar to a potato bug/pill bug. The are very flat, and don't have that typical rounded rise-up like Isopods often do. the biggest I've seen is smaller then the size of the diameter of a pencil eraser.. Can someone please help! What are they? anyone eat them?
20220126_213942.jpg
20220124_091224.jpg 20220124_221806.jpg 20220117_230239.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stomatella?

OP
OP
K

KayBabe785

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I found pods eating at the stylo just now after lights out. I would assume pods aren't coral eaters but if it's dying for another reason, I suppose they'd pick of the dying flesh/polyps? Thoughts?

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I found pods eating at the stylo just now after lights out. I would assume pods aren't coral eaters but if it's dying for another reason, I suppose they'd pick of the dying flesh/polyps? Thoughts?
yeah but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they'd eat live polyps. maybe differing species have diff preferences too. I could see a scavenger type animal picking at corals, but also not.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back