what the heck happened to my new angel?!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder whether ‘everyone’ is a little correct? A fish already dying of [ Blank ] wedged in between the heater for his final few death throws, popping the heater off the glass and setting it afloat, Dead fish from unknown causes, with heater-burn marks (?). Let’s call in Dr. Wang from the O.J. case. Lol. ;)

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized that I think that may be exactly what happened since I came home and found my heater floating around which has never ever happened- I bet he got caught behind there and fought to free himself- uggghhh
If possible, keep the heaters in a chamber where no tank life can go near them. Even the safest heaters can fry a fish

OP
OP
Twalker791

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, keep the heaters in a chamber where no tank life can go near them. Even the safest heaters can fry a fish
I would if I could! I only have the display tank which has my equipment in it, don’t really have the setup for a sump

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be weird for a fish to stay hidden behind a heater as it was turning on and inflicting pain(maybe the fish was asleep or very weak already).

My first thought was bacterial infection because that’s how bad they can get. But weirder things have happened so I’m not ruling out the heater. As for why the other fish are fine. Bacteria infection don’t attack everything the same all at once. This fish could have been more susceptible to the invading bacteria.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hob filter will work depending on heater and filter size. I run 3 filters, ac50 and 2 ac110s with a 50w heater in each filter.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason to think the heater was on for a long period? Mine kicks on and off to maintain temp. It doesn’t just sit there staying on and that’s a pretty big fish to get stuck.

seems like a convenient scenario but still not a likely one

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this bicolor angelfish about a week ago- has been happy and healthy as far as I can tell in a tank with one smaller black clownfish and a German cleaner shrimp and a few snails. I was just watching him swim around yesterday and I didn’t notice anything odd. Today I came home and saw this HUGE wound on his side and he was sort of floating around and then died about an hour later. I feel there is no way my little clown or shrimp could have done something like this- but I also don’t know what disease would have done this and that fast- no rocks were knocked over- I have no crabs or anything else In the tank other than what I listed. Any ideas? I’m so upset!

5B565A69-0FEB-4B09-BBB7-26028C3B3E8D.jpeg 1DAF6CBD-1B8D-4602-B240-DEB2584430C9.jpeg

That is almost positively the protozoan, Uronema, it is a classic presentation. It might be Uronema plus bacterial, but I think not. It is commonly misdiagnosed as an injury or a heater burn because it shows up so fast, but actually, the infection festers in the fish’s muscles until it breaks through the skin all of a sudden showing the lesion.

It isn’t treatable, but rarely spreads to other fish unless they are also a susceptible species.

I have an article on this disease in the library section here:

Jay

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is almost positively the protozoan, Uronema, it is a classic presentation. It might be Uronema plus bacterial, but I think not. It is commonly misdiagnosed as an injury or a heater burn because it shows up so fast, but actually, the infection festers in the fish’s muscles until it breaks through the skin all of a sudden showing the lesion.

It isn’t treatable, but rarely spreads to other fish unless they are also a susceptible species.

I have an article on this disease in the library section here:

Jay
That’s really interesting! Has anyone have success by treating fish with consumed medication or can fish recover? While it is sad, that is a fascinating condition!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really interesting! Has anyone have success by treating fish with consumed medication or can fish recover? While it is sad, that is a fascinating condition!
I’ve not been able to cure Uronema when it is really deep seated like this. By the time you see the lesion, it is too late. Possibly, if you treated fish before they show this symptom, you might be able to control it, but since there were no symptoms, how would you know?
One possible treatment would be
Metronidazole in the food at 5000 ppm
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back