What the heck is going on with this Kenya tree

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params:
Ammonia/nitrite: negligible
Nitrate: 25-30 (high but needed in order to combat dinos)
Phosphate: .05
Salinity: 1.026
Calc: 470
Mag: 1420
Alk: 7.8-8
PH: 7.8 - 8.1

I had this Kenya tree for about a month, and it has never done this, being that it’s pinched near the center. I’m currently combating dinos, but I’m not confident they have any correlation. I attached a pic below. It’s droopy because I turned on the light solely for the photo, and it’s not open.
Any advice #reefsquad ?

24753654-A4C4-4496-963B-8128F6F63C1E.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params:

I had this Kenya tree for about a month, and it has never done this, being that it’s pinched near the center. I’m currently combating dinos, but I’m not confident they have any correlation. I attached a pic below. It’s droopy because I turned on the light solely for the photo, and it’s not open.
Any advice #reefsquad ?

Your parameters look spot on. You say you are battling Dino's, how are you doing it. The reason I ask is cause and effect. Every change we make in the tank can effect it when something else changes. It's kinda like the saying...Robbing from Peter to give to Paul.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look spot on. You say you are battling Dino's, how are you doing it. The reason I ask is cause and effect. Every change we make in the tank can effect it when something else changes. It's kinda like the saying...Robbing from Peter to give to Paul.

For battling dinos, I have been dosing phosphate due to them bottoming out, and regularly siphoning water through a 10 micron filter sock. I have also started dosing h202 3% at 1ml per 10 gallons at night. I will be dosing phyto and Bacter 7 when I get my hands on it, as well as adding some moderate pieces of live rock for bio diversity. I also run a green killing machine UV, but that hasn’t rlly done much likely due to the type of dinos I’m dealing with.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For battling dinos, I have been dosing phosphate due to them bottoming out, and regularly siphoning water through a 10 micron filter sock. I have also started dosing h202 3% at 1ml per 10 gallons at night. I will be dosing phyto and Bacter 7 when I get my hands on it, as well as adding some moderate pieces of live rock for bio diversity.
Full disclosure, I have never owned a softy, just LPS and SPS, but in reality it shouldn't matter. I just wanted to let you know. :)

That many changes to the tank may cause some effects to some corals, and not others. I would wait a few days to see if it adjust to the changes that were made to the tank stability and parameters, and then based on that, see if something needs to be done. The worst thing we can do is to start chasing issues that may not be there.

Do the dinos disappear in the morning before the lights are on? If so you can do a 3 day black out to help.

As always, I will ask the #reefsquad to chime in as they may have even more helpful advise.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclosure, I have never owned a softy, just LPS and SPS, but in reality it shouldn't matter. I just wanted to let you know. :)

That many changes to the tank may cause some effects to some corals, and not others. I would wait a few days to see if it adjust to the changes that were made to the tank stability and parameters, and then based on that, see if something needs to be done. The worst thing we can do is to start chasing issues that may not be there.

Do the dinos disappear in the morning before the lights are on? If so you can do a 3 day black out to help.

As always, I will ask the #reefsquad to chime in as they may have even more helpful advise.

Sounds like a plan. I did read somewhere that pinched Kenya trees are a sign of propagation, but I haven’t heard this happing near the center where there aren’t branches.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params:

Any advice #reefsquad ?

It’s prob upset due to a low
Nutrients system give it time for your dinos to clear and it’ll come back mine is doing the same thing right now due to a use of vibrant and knocking out all my nutrients. Balance is key

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had kenya trees. Then I got dinos. Now I don't have kenya trees :(

On a serious note, dinos damaged most of my soft coral, and dinox completed the job. I had LC Amphidinium.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant was my soft coral ended up dying after treating with dinox. The dinos did a lot of damage, and after dinox, most coral was dead. Started over from scratch. This time I seeded my new rock with sand out of the gulf, and let it cure a couple months before putting it in the new tank.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s about to split. I had one and it made babies out the butt! Tolerated high light and low light. Would reach when the par was under 150 and if it was 400 it would stay short. Either way, they’re bulletproof. Should be fine with time.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back