what the heck is happening to my meteor shower coral

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something keeps taking chunks out of my meteor shower. It's happened three times now.I caught a hermit crab chilling on it and later in the day I came home to massive chunks taken out of it.I removed the hermits I had in the tank and now all I have that could be doing it is a emerald crab. I'm pretty new to saltwater tanks and I'm lost here. I've brought this thing back from the brink two times and it was almost fully healed. This is maddening
Cal- 561
Phos 13 (I'm bringing that down with phosguard
Alk 9.9
I do not have current mag results.

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 6.43.27 AM.png

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. Could you buy a shroom cage to keep it in for healing and observation? If it improves without other treatment or tank changes, someone was probably munching on it. If it continues to lose polyps and/or deteriorate, it's sick.

What other types of corals do you have and how are they doing?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of Emerald Crabs eating whatever they can get their claws on once there is no more algae in the tank... But I agree with kittenbritches, put a cage over it and see if it improves or continues, that's the only way to know for sure without removing your emerald crab.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. Could you buy a shroom cage to keep it in for healing and observation? If it improves without other treatment or tank changes, someone was probably munching on it. If it continues to lose polyps and/or deteriorate, it's sick.

What other types of corals do you have and how are they doing?
I have several zoa's and a frogspawn. I'm having a bit of a gha outbreak ( reef roids i'm guessing ) so some of the zoas have some on them but other than that they're good. I do not have a shroom cage but I do have a coral rack that I've put the meteor shower on.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most emerald crabs have white blunted tips which makes them almost incapable of pinching and tearing off things if you look closely the tips are rounded (most of them if they aren’t rounded get rid of that emerald as it can do serious damage if it has the pointing tips) I would agree to the comment above that the emerald was probably getting the parts of the coral already dead and coming off. I watch my emerald crab like a hawk as it appears he always is trying to cause chaos to the coral. The only coral I’ve noticed my emerald crab destroyed is some clove polps in which he pinched the heads of and cause great damage.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing this is a water quality or lighting issue. Is your alkalinity stable? Are your phosphates are really 13 (are you sure it’s not 1.3 or 0.13 or 0.013)? Where are your nitrates? Your calcium is pretty high. Are you dosing anything? What kind of lighting do you have and where in the tank did you place it? This looks more like general tissue degradation/recession than it being eaten. Cyphastrea doesn’t like a lot of light (in fact they will do well almost completely shaded), anything over around 75 PAR can burn cyphastrea if it’s not VERY slowly acclimated.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the meteor shower up on a rack away from the emerald crab or anything else that might have been chewing on it. It's not completely back to its former glory but it's better than what it was a month ago.

269519574_10222533228139298_3157131621461200575_n.jpeg

Last edited:

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something keeps taking chunks out of my meteor shower. It's happened three times now.I caught a hermit crab chilling on it and later in the day I came home to massive chunks taken out of it.I removed the hermits I had in the tank and now all I have that could be doing it is a emerald crab. I'm pretty new to saltwater tanks and I'm lost here. I've brought this thing back from the brink two times and it was almost fully healed. This is maddening
Cal- 561
Phos 13 (I'm bringing that down with phosguard
Alk 9.9
I do not have current mag results.

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 6.43.27 AM.png
How old is your tank?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the coral is dying, but not from crabs.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back