what the heck is this ? Cyano,Dino,diatoms ?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys any idea what the heck this is my tank is over a year old i have battled all the uglies. Had a cyano outbreak which I’ve been treating with cyanoclean which has reduced it by a good 75% I recently hooked my uv sterilser back up due to a massive bacteria bloom which caused the loss of two corals the uv cleared the bacteria bloom within 24 hours. Happy days until now this has started to emerge any ideas as to what it is as it’s not like any cyano or Dino I’ve dealt with in the past

F337FD9D-A4EA-428A-B2CE-43E367C256E8.jpeg
68D36CF6-A413-465D-9B1C-DD18DD1A320B.jpeg

These pictures are zoomed in x 4.8 the patches are quite small compared to how the pictures make it look

the question is Dino, brown cyano, diatoms or something else ?

Thank you

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers for your reply Tim Exactly my thinking as Dino is usually more snot like in appearance like this seems to be more furry looking kinda like gha but brown with some bubbles nearing the end of the light period

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys any idea what the heck this is my tank is over a year old i have battled all the uglies. Had a cyano outbreak which I’ve been treating with cyanoclean which has reduced it by a good 75% I recently hooked my uv sterilser back up due to a massive bacteria bloom which caused the loss of two corals the uv cleared the bacteria bloom within 24 hours. Happy days until now this has started to emerge any ideas as to what it is as it’s not like any cyano or Dino I’ve dealt with in the past

F337FD9D-A4EA-428A-B2CE-43E367C256E8.jpeg
68D36CF6-A413-465D-9B1C-DD18DD1A320B.jpeg

These pictures are zoomed in x 4.8 the patches are quite small compared to how the pictures make it look

the question is Dino, brown cyano, diatoms or something else ?

Thank you
While I would like to guess my eyes are not microscope if you know what I mean. Based on the pictures it is not diatoms but the rest is unknown until you check it in about 400x zoom.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will attempt to get a microscope looks very similair to pictures of Lyngbya I’ve seen in other posts in it’s fuzzy appearance there’s only very very small patches at the minute is comparison to the usual red cyano I have remaining

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
92A32D7C-E5B6-49D3-94D4-442194A97441.jpeg

Pic under white led only zoomed in 4.8%

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’m gonna be much help here. But my tank is nine months old and I get periodic very little bloom specs from time to time. It’s very easy for me to keep up with cleanup, so up until days ago, I didn’t think much of it. My water parameters are perfect. But I just, for the first time, check for GH. And it’s through the roof. Now I don’t know if that hard water quality can be the harbinger well this is my new problem, but…. Question, do you check your tank water for General Hardiness (GH)?

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely dino. The snotty bubbles are a telltale sign.
*** not again Dino x again I guess joke really would of thought my tank was mature enough to overcome this again

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one person says it’s Dino and that’s that?

not saying it isn’t but I’d like some more confirmation personally.
100% agree I’ll await more feedback I’ve dealt with Dinos before did not look like this at all I’m continuing my cyanoclean regiment for the time being till I get a scope

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you put the UV back in, did you clean the inside to make sure the crystal/glass is 100% clear? Overtime residue will deposit on it, reducing its effectiveness. It might have still worked for the bacteria bloom since bacteria is weak. If this is indeed dino (protozoan) then you will need the UV at 100% clarity to kill it.

If your UV is clean and the correct wattage, then just blow that stuff into the water column and the UV on 24/7. The UV will take care of it, whatever it is.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way to tell 100% what it is is by using a microscope. If that was my tank I would absolutely do that. Dino X doesn't always work either since there are many different strains and each requires a different treatment. UV also doesn't really do anything to control dino.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back