what the heck is this stuff?

Spinster4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a while ago I made my first ever salt water tank, its about a 3-4 weeks old now and I've had no algae yet but I have had this, and I genuinely think its not diatoms as if I stir up the sand bed a bit it goes away but comes back in like an hour or 2. The only thing I can think of is when I built my aquarium I wanted a DIY fuge inside my HOB filter, and I used hot glue to glue some baffles in to prevent it from flowing out and it worked buttt after a few days of having the tank up and running I noticed this white crap stringy stuff all over my tank glass, filter, pretty much everything it can get stuck to, I scraped the glass down and cleaned my filter and scooped out the big chunks of it but it just kept returning and now its turned brown, my best guess is the hot glue definitely had something to do with this as its the ONLY thing I can think of, my Seachem Tidal 55 filter came with a bag of Matrix so I put that in to cycle the tank somewhat and after like a day it had a bunch of weird yellowish white slime on it, and thats the same slime that developed into what I have now. I genuinely can't get rid of it and its made me not interested in my tank because of it and I just want this sh-- gone. its really hard to see but here it is

IMG_2951.jpg IMG_2952.jpg IMG_2953.jpg IMG_2954.jpg

OP
OP
Spinster4000

Spinster4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The camera is pretty **** sorry, and I cant seem to find any sort of flashlight anywhere and thats the brightest my light will go in terms of white

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The camera is pretty **** sorry, and I cant seem to find any sort of flashlight anywhere and thats the brightest my light will go in terms of white
Some of the stuff in the sump (in the basket image) looks like cyano, but with the coloration off it could also be something else entirely.

OP
OP
Spinster4000

Spinster4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the stuff in the sump (in the basket image) looks like cyano, but with the coloration off it could also be something else entirely.
yeah its the stuff thats on the sandbed that makes me think it isnt diatoms, cyano, or any type of living organism for that matter. I'm never touching hot glue or anything like that ever again, or a HOB filter for that matter. This tanks pretty much been nothing but constant issues/stress and sucked the fun out of fish keeping for me, but Im NOT giving up.

Back