what the heck is this thing?

Zoalover34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck is this thing?

See this "rock" that my tealish ric's are on.. Well look at the top of it and see how it's 'open' well its never been 'open' before.. I noticed it last night and there were some clear things inside of it moving around, almost looked like a tounge?! :eek:oh:
weirdthing0023.jpg

anyone have any clue what it could be? It's closed up right now.. My mh lights were off when i noticed it was 'open'?

Last edited by a moderator:

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That looks creepy. It almost looks like the outline of an eye on the side. Cool.

OP
OP
Zoalover34

Zoalover34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i know! It almost looks like a sideshot of a fish head! and the peach stuff on the bottom is really smooth, don't know what that is either?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a rock clam.....I have had them quite a few times with rics on them.....Touch it and see if it closes. If it does then it most likely is a clam.....They don't have mantles that stick out like Tridacna Clams do and are not as colorful in most cases.

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be just a filter feeder. Let it be IMO. Worse case scenario is it would die, not really cause too much of a funk, and you would have an empty bivalve shell on your rock, not that bad.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it closes up.. It only comes out at night.. Is there any special thing i need to do for it?

Ive allways heard them called Turkey wing clams. Ive had a few thru the years that came on gulf rock and never had to do anything for it and it done well.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an Angel wing clam and is a filter feeder and will need DT's to survive or similar product. These are very common in the Carribean and Atlantic Oceans. The shell becomes heavily encrusted and looks more like a rock than a sea shell.(until it opens. LOL)

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harmless and beneficial filter feeding bi valve. I have several in and on my live rock. In fact, I just found one yesterday in a hole in live rock that I've had for 3 years.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what it is.
+1

It is an Angel wing clam and is a filter feeder and will need DT's to survive or similar product. These are very common in the Carribean and Atlantic Oceans. The shell becomes heavily encrusted and looks more like a rock than a sea shell.(until it opens. LOL)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back