What the heck is this?

SlicVic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a framer acclimated and put them in my tank the next thing I know I see this creature on my tank wall! Scared The Living Daylights out of me! Looks like some kind of a snail or something can somebody tell me what it is and is it dangerous do I need to take it out?!

20220618_143858.jpg

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be something like a stomatella snail, but my guess would be some kind of nudibranch or flatworm - do you have any other pictures of it?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a framer acclimated and put them in my tank the next thing I know I see this creature on my tank wall! Scared The Living Daylights out of me! Looks like some kind of a snail or something can somebody tell me what it is and is it dangerous do I need to take it out?!

20220618_143858.jpg
Pic is not clear. Take it out and put in a bowl with air stone until we know what it is.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nudibranch or a slug hard to see

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like,well similar to some sea slugs I had on my gsp ,removed about 30 in first 3 weeks of having found first one
Here thread with mine,some useful names and links to other sites/forums/articles in it I believe so can maybe get an id from the thousands if different kinds there is ^_^

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say marine flatworm rather than nudibranch, and given the pronounced striation of the wiki one linked, I doubt it's that one. I would start here: http://www.seaslugforum.net/specieslist.htm While an ID will take a while that way, they do have a picture for most species named, and you can probably at least get an idea of the variety that is out there.

Generally, their diets are very specific, so you don't need to be worried unless you have something that it specifically eats that you want to keep - though this isn't often immediately obvious. Sometimes they look like their food for camouflage, but not always, and if it's running around the tank during the day, it's likely that it is out of food and searching for it.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say marine flatworm rather than nudibranch, and given the pronounced striation of the wiki one linked, I doubt it's that one. I would start here: http://www.seaslugforum.net/specieslist.htm While an ID will take a while that way, they do have a picture for most species named, and you can probably at least get an idea of the variety that is out there.

Generally, their diets are very specific, so you don't need to be worried unless you have something that it specifically eats that you want to keep - though this isn't often immediately obvious. Sometimes they look like their food for camouflage, but not always, and if it's running around the tank during the day, it's likely that it is out of food and searching for it.
True words . I think I have the same slug .

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually, I think they have the right genus, but wrong species (though the "ruffling" around the edge definitely gives it a flatworm-like appearance). The creature above looks like Dermatobranchus striatus, but with a white head and slightly more white-spotting. It might be a different species (there quite a few in the genus, including some that don't have official names yet), but I'd be surprised if it's not a Dermatobranchus sp.

Back