What the heck is up with my Engineer Gobies?

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I've had this pair of Engineer Gobies for roughly seven years. They have been peaceful, often times comical, members of the tank over the years, and they have mostly kept to themselves, preferring to hide in the live rock and substrate. But... about two or three weeks ago, their behavior started to change. Now they spend 90% of their time in the front of the tank, completely out in the open. They are still completely non-aggressive, and seem perfectly healthy, but it is a strange change.

Has this happened to anyone else? Are they just getting senile in their goby old age?

IMG_5444.jpg IMG_5445.jpg

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happened to me very recently! I used to have two, but one died a year ago. The other is now 7 just like yours and he's started doing the same thing. It's like he suddenly decided that he'd had enough of being a hermit and now he's out on the town all the time. The only thing I can think of is that my diamond watchman gobies keep evicting him from whatever cave he makes for himself, but I don't think that's it. He just seems like he's not shy anymore---after 7 years

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back