What the heck is wrong with my hermit crabs?

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home this evening and noticed both my hermit crabs are on the back of their shells clutching a pebble. I tried turning one over thinking it might be stuck (even though it could have righted itself), but just a couple minutes later it was right back where it started.

Are they just being weird?

20200526_204700.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's usually not a great sign. Have you tested your water parameters recently? Any other inverts in the tank and if so, how are they doing- especially your snails (if applicable).

OP
OP
InvertsBestVerts

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's usually not a great sign. Have you tested your water parameters recently? Any other inverts in the tank and if so, how are they doing- especially your snails (if applicable).

I have over half a dozen snails, they're all doing their normal thing. Same with my pistol shrimp, and a small crab that lives in one of my rocks. All my corals look good too.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, it could be nothing, however I've seen this behavior strike multiple crabs a few times and in all cases it took about three days, but then they died. Twice it was related to toxins from dinos and I have no idea on the third. I would watch your other inverts closely, but I really don't have an explanation. Hopefully someone else has more experience with this behavior.

OP
OP
InvertsBestVerts

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, it could be nothing, however I've seen this behavior strike multiple crabs a few times and in all cases it took about three days, but then they died. Twice it was related to toxins from dinos and I have no idea on the third. I would watch your other inverts closely, but I really don't have an explanation. Hopefully someone else has more experience with this behavior.

It's been several days now, everyone seems to be doing alright. I'll update if I lose one of the hermit crabs, but I think it was just coincidence they were both acting strange.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think there were like.
Hey Mike what Jim, lets mess with the guy who always stares at us and give him the rock treatment.
Ok Jim I am all in, this is gona be good.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days later.
Hey Jim, what Mike, we got him good dident we.
Kept coming over staring scratching his head.
Yup that was a good one. Whats next?
Maybe we can hide for a few days in the shadows and see howmany ti.e he comes a looking?
Both RONSBL (sb sand bed).
Muahahaha

Back