what the heck?! Tomini Tang is not reef safe!

ewcc1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost 2 Acans and 2 are dying now!
Tomini tang keep munching at the acans!!
F58CBA21-7EDB-4826-97BF-37124BD8421E.jpeg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's rare, but I've heard of tangs deciding that corals were tasty before. If you keep him well-fed and he still snacks, you may have to rehome that tang. (Or stop trying to grow acans...)

~Bruce

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had 2-3 different hippo tangs decide zoanthids were worth eating.
Once the fish has tasted a coral and realizes it could be food source, they will go back to the source until it's gone.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although rare, tangs can go after corals. Usually it is to go after the zooxanthellae, symbiotic algae. It usually starts because the fish isn't being fed enough quantity/frequency/variety. Unfortunately, in most cases once this behavior starts it doesn't stop.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I just need a herbivore in the 75. I love tangs but since the tanks so small I'm leaning towards a tailspot blenny or a pair of rainford gobys. Been looking for a TSB or a couple rainford for months why I almost got that tomini

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tommini tang in my tank, it doesn't touch my corals... it grazes specific kinds of algae, that being said, if you don't have any algae in your tank for it to eat, and are just feeding it a protein diet, you may have problems... I feed mine some Julian sprungs green sea weed... and have an innovative marine grazer to feed it and my sea hare with...

16012444575431760349060.jpg 16012444815551607623955.jpg 1601244495789695849592.jpg

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always some risk with benthic feeders. Tangs get a lot of good press for eating algae but many of us have seen the occasional tang go rouge. blue tangs are notorious for eating zoas. Austin lefevre mentions that he has pulled more tangs for eating corals than angels in this great Macna talk.

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always some risk with benthic feeders. Tangs get a lot of good press for eating algae but many of us have seen the occasional tang go rouge. blue tangs are notorious for eating zoas. Austin lefevre mentions that he has pulled more tangs for eating corals than angels in this great Macna talk.

I had an angel that would absolutely not lot me put coral in my tank, it would destroy it immediately!!!

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an angel that would absolutely not lot me put coral in my tank, it would destroy it immediately!!!
That’s somewhat unusual. Some of the large angels can be bad but unusual that it would immediately devour all corals. what kind of angel? Were you following any of the suggestions laid out in that video?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure they are not just dying from some other cause? I have had fish pick at dying tissue on corals that were already on their way out.

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s somewhat unusual. Some of the large angels can be bad but unusual that it would immediately devour all corals. what kind of angel? Were you following any of the suggestions laid out in that video?
Didn't watch the video, and he wouldn't devour them, he wouldn't relentlessly pick at them till they died... The angel eventually passed of old age, his name was frank and he almost made it 10 years...

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also, he was a pretty fish, and a stubborn bully... After that angel, I'll never do another 1...

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be weird timing bringing this old thread back from the dead.

I have had and issue with acan, Favia, and some chalice in both my tanks. I have been trying to figure it out lately. The rims around the eyes are beings eaten. I thought it might be a swordtail angel in one and a flame in another. Both tanks have flame tangs. Maybe they are the culprit?

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bummer, has the tang left it alone since you started feeding more seaweed???
He has behaved. I have not noticed anything else being picked at and nothing has died. I try to feed my tank light because it's pretty new and I've been battling diatoms. Everybody else eats light but the tang gets his seaweed now.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 15 years ago, I had a hippo tang that decimated an elegance coral. It was a huge elegance. Like others stated, I believe once they get a taste, there’s no going back. I traded that tang back to my LFS, never telling them exactly why I wanted to trade it. Fortunately, my current hippo tang has not gone for corals. Yet....

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back