what the heck?!!!

JimBurro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a small reef tank , 38 gallons, with cannister filter, and protein skimmer about two months ago, and every thing was fine until one night my tank became very cloudy and I started losing fish. I had two clowns, 6 hermits, a cleaner shrimp , and a couple of cardinals.
I lost both cardinals, and one clown before i could isolate the others in a pail. I've cleaned out my tank and filter and replaced my reef coral sand and cleaned the tank with clean saltwater. Can anyone give me things to watch out for now that I've restarted my tank?
sorry this is my first try at saltwater reefing. thanks

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy water all of a sudden sounds like bacteria. A bacterial bloom can come from all kinds of issues.

OP
OP
J

JimBurro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out my new heater was defective. the cannister filter is fine. I bought a pre filter and have all my media in the cannister. the pre filter has coarse, medium and polishing pads in it as well as charcoal. I bought two new heaters and have them running in case one fails.

OP
OP
J

JimBurro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought a uv light and plan to run it 3 hours a day. All my fish are quantined in a local pet store while my bacteria levels cycle. I'm running tests on everything daily but the local pet store believes that a week should be enough to re' intoduce my fish back in the tank
Does this sound good?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound like you will need to cycle the tank again B4 putting an fish back in. When adding fish back in go slowly and feed lightly. The bacteria count will take time to build up to support fish.
I would take the polishing pads out of the canister filter unless you are willing to rinse them off twice a week. They quickly become a nitrate factory. I would use them only for a day or so after a water change and gravel dirt has been stirred up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back