What ticked me off with my tank today...

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a great CUC refresh crew from ReefCleaners today including some bumblebee snails for the first time. (I hope work as advertised against vermetid snails). Anyway, what got me P.O.'d? I dumped 20 nassarius snails in the tank and, as soon as I turned my back to grab a sand rake to bury them, my three yellow coris and my melanarus ate like half of them! It was a snail massacre. I got the rake down there fast to bury the survivors, but the wrasses were darting around it without any fear and managed to pick off a couple more. Well, at least those wrasses got a different meal today---and, for once, it wasn't the stupid yellowtail damsels that were annoying me!

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, wouldn’t the snails have gotten picked off either way once they resurfaced for food? Seems like they were doomed from the start lol

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, wouldn’t the snails have gotten picked off either way once they resurfaced for food? Seems like they were doomed from the start lol
Ouch. So sorry. Gotta +1 @Zer0 though... sounds like those bumble bees will be the next target.
I have a few big Nassarius that stay under the sand all the time now and I only see when I dig one up by accident. I haven't kept snails in years because I got sick of seeing ceriths, planaxis, astraea, and nerites on my glass and in my overflows. I had a melanarus back then too, but he didn't bother snails. I got new ones because I'm on a new "natural" kick for algae control. The current melanarus wrasse and the yellow coris three amigos are new and I hadn't anticipated snail genocide. Hopefully they'll leave the bumblebees alone and a few of the nassarius will learn to just live under the sand all the time like the older ones I have.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses, always wanted, beautiful, but nope....mind you I do have pygmy angels that have always been model citizens, but my Spokian eyebrow always looking....there will likely be that day.....

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ticked me off today? Wires. Why does my tank have so many wires? Why do so many things need a power brick? Why are the cords always too long or too short? Why does it always look like such a mess no matter how many times I try to clean it up? Arrgghhh!!! First picture shows my first attempt to clean up my wires. Took me a whole day a couple months ago. Second pic shows what I did today---a half day of vacation burned on "wire sculpting"!
old.jpg
new big.jpg

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew that ceriths and nerites like to come out if the water until I got them, it’s something I really do not like lol. I’m sticking to trochus snails from now on, they’re great!

Also great job on the cable management, it’s super clean now! I share the sentiment about cords being either too short, or absurdly long lol

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ticked me off today? Cyano;Blackeye
I finally manage to get my nitrate up to 2.5 ppm and my phospate up to 0.03 ppm and relatively stable for a few days, my dinos are essentially gone, and I'm feeling pretty good about myself last night. However, I come home this evening and see my rocks covered in cyano! Me trying to keep a lot more SPS (and keep them happy with some nutrients in the water) is turning into a real chore. I miss the old days of keeping my nutrients at zero. Of course, for whatever mysterious reasons, I never had dinos back then either. I blame COVID!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back