What to add to get flow behind the rocks along the back of the tank

laguest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This is our first tank, about 2 years running now and still learning a ton. Also the first time we did an aquascape.
Standard 75 gallon tank (48" L x 18" D x 19" T). For the most part the rock work is in the middle of the tank. There is one in back that does block continues flow across the back (I hope to cut that back to allow full flow once I figure out how to cut the reef saver rock while still in the tank).

Since the start we have had 2 x MP10's on the front side of the rock facing each other in master/slave running Reef Crest (30% intensity).
We have been fighting algae issues for some time now and one thing we would like to do is get good flow across the back of the rock.
We are doing other items to get control of the algae so this is just one of the things we hope to improve on. I did move one of the MP10's to the back and I think its good, but I am thinking it may be better to move it back in front like the original design and add a new pump just for the back.

While I don't want to spend over the top (add 2 more MP10's) I do want a good solution that gives random flow and breaks up dead spots and moves detritus.

Some items we have been thinking about.

1) Keep just the 2 MP10's but up the flow on each (I am running them at a max of 30%)
Its a softie / LPS tank as you can see

2) Add a single MP10 to the back and up the output to have good flow to the other side (48")

3) Add a single Gyre positioned vertical across the back of the tank

4) Add 1x2 small hydor powerheads and use my Apex to toggle them on and off.

Any thoughts, recommendations or ideas?

Thanks!

20190720_133953.jpg

20190720_134010.jpg

20190720_134020.jpg

rf1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not sure how this would work in a larger tank,but I would think the principle would be the same. I just added a Vivid random flow generator nozzle to my return and I must say the flow has been spread remarkably throughout my rock work. For a fraction of the price of a new powerhead it might be something to research.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello laguest

Mp10’s are on the low side for that size tank. Mp40 would be better suited.

There’s a couple options.

I think best would be get an mp40 on one side and move a 10 to the back, but that’s the expensive one, which yo mentioned want to stay away from, understandable

Move one mp10 behind, then get the gyre like you mentioned on one side and the mp10 on the other.

I like the hydor idea since you have apex and would be cheaper . Drop 2 hydor behind the rock alternating to supplement the mp10. I just put in a hydor 3rd gen in and it has a nice random flow nozzle.

When setting them up I use a little flake food into the tank to watch and adjust the flow patterns

Tank looks nice.

U

User1

View Badges
You could also pick up a used Gyre, say a XF250, since people are selling them to upgrade to the 3xx series. Place it vertical on the side panel so the flow goes behind the rock work. You can then adjust long, short pulses or change the blades so you are pushing along the back and wrapping around the front.

TheGreatWave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm for putting a couple of cheap Hydors back there. I wouldn't even plug them into a controller, just point it at the detritus.

The Gyre would also work but is kinda big compared to a couple small hydors and has considerably more maintenance.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello laguest

Mp10’s are on the low side for that size tank. Mp40 would be better suited.

There’s a couple options.

I think best would be get an mp40 on one side and move a 10 to the back, but that’s the expensive one, which yo mentioned want to stay away from, understandable

Move one mp10 behind, then get the gyre like you mentioned on one side and the mp10 on the other.

I like the hydor idea since you have apex and would be cheaper . Drop 2 hydor behind the rock alternating to supplement the mp10. I just put in a hydor 3rd gen in and it has a nice random flow nozzle.

When setting them up I use a little flake food into the tank to watch and adjust the flow patterns

Tank looks nice.

+1

There's a lot of good advice here!

OP
OP
L

laguest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help.

I agree that 1 x MP10 would be too low for this size tank, but right now I have 2 x MP10's. When I ran the calculator on the EcoTech site they said 1 x MP40 or 2 x MP10 would be fine, I went with 2 x MP10 on either side of the tank facing each other.

But when the back needed more flow is when I moved 1 to the back and left 1 out front. I would like to run both MP10's out in front and add new flow to the back behind the rocks.

Please keep any other ideas coming.
I am making a spread sheet of cost vs function to try and narrow down my options.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about adding a random flow generator to your return then adjusting your existing pumps as needed?

Back