What to add...

emilyferguson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!! I am finally 6 months in (after a transfer on a 4 month old tank) and ready to add an anemone! But also have a few other concerns that I could use some advise on.

1. What kind of anemone would be best? I have a 32 gal Bio Cube with stock LED lights. I was nervous about that at first but have read from many that it is okay with certain ones. I want a host for my clowns but also know I have to look at size. Should I try BTA and hope for the best or carpet? I am kind of leaning towards carpet so it can stay in the sand and I don’t have to worry about it stinging corals but also love the look of BTA.

2. I recently added a pincushion urchin. I saw nothing about them being issues with corals while researching before I got it but I have a coral that I think it is running over and causing to recede. How can I stop that from happening. I also have a small mushroom that I think it ate completely!

3. I am also hoping to add a starfish after I get the nem settled. I don’t even know where to start so options to research would be amazing!

*parameters are stable, weekly checks and water changes, currently have 2 clowns, 2 blue green chromis, chalk basslet, Randall’s goby, tiny candy cane pistol shrimp (we never see him but hear him), peppermint shrimp, and pincushion urchin, a few snails and hermits*

There is a purple dotty back pictured. This was a month ago when I added him and the urchin. Dotty back has been removed due to aggression after about a week.

AB2C4AFB-7B0D-4D0E-9E91-2001B9F88550.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock lighting may not be enough for an anemone. If others have had success with your setup then only try a bubble tip. Carpet require a lot more light.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked into your lighting and it should be fine. However the anemone will likely take a high location. They like to attach their foot under a ledge or crevice and then reach upward. Almost like the figure of a "J"
On top of that your clowns may never actually be hosted by the anemone. I have 3 anemone and 2 clowns in my tank. They want nothing to do with them.

OP
OP
emilyferguson

emilyferguson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a BTA! Got it settled in last night and with everything waking up this morning it’s already looking great!!

Attachments

• 7AC4F681-9BC9-4522-85A1-1E1191D60316.jpeg
    7AC4F681-9BC9-4522-85A1-1E1191D60316.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 21

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pincushion urchins dont intentionally eat coral to my knowledge but can bulldoze things down in search of algae. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

For a tank that size I think sea stars are very limited. Anything similar to a fromia or sandsifter will be a ticking time bomb and essentially slowly starve to death in 90% of reefs. Brittle starfish are pretty cool though so you have options there.

OP
OP
emilyferguson

emilyferguson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clown seems to be nipping at the nem. Is this normal hosting behavior? I am glad she is taking interest so quickly but I can’t say I’m not stressed about it! Lol.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    92.8 MB

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back