What to Do ... Besides Sound the Fog-Horns?!

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is just insane! what the heck?? Bruce, I don't remember, have you done a 3 day blackout? Would that fluconazole product have any effect with this algae (I don't know much about it)?

Man, I'm frustrated right along side you. :mad:

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a "lights-out" period a while back, but I think your suggestion is a good one. If I don't see some results fairly soon from the UV/Vibrant combination, I'll fire up that third weapon and bring it to bear.

Additionally, I now have a small amount of Chaetomorpha competing for nutrients from down in the sump. (Of course, that means extra lighting, down in the sump . . . )

~Bruce

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a "lights-out" period a while back, but I think your suggestion is a good one. If I don't see some results fairly soon from the UV/Vibrant combination, I'll fire up that third weapon and bring it to bear.

Additionally, I now have a small amount of Chaetomorpha competing for nutrients from down in the sump. (Of course, that means extra lighting, down in the sump . . . )

~Bruce
Yeah, maybe blast that cheato with some light heavily tilted to the red spectrum and blackout the display for 3 days maybe.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Leahfiish!

The tank's not as deeply-darkly green as it was the last go-round, so there's that small hope. Still dosing Vibrant and running the UV; if I don't see some improvement fairly soon, I think I'll tape some trash bags on the tank and turn out the lights for a few days.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, knowing I had to go to work from Saturday morning until Sunday night, and that I'd just drowned my last dose of Vibrant, I shut off the lights above the reef on Friday morning.

By Sunday night, it was clear that some clarity had returned to the reef, and in order to preserve what corals remain, the lights came back up on Monday morning.

Monday evening, FTS:
20170821_164608.jpg

Still needs work - would consider a dark-out every week or two, if the corals can take it . . .

~Bruce

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this work out?

I have a full green bloom going in a qt/observation tank. It came on after the fish moved out and I hadn't been too concerned as I figured I would just do a full water change and it would clear up. Now I'm not so sure...

I'll start a thread as it seems unusual enough to be interesting.

Tony

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this work out?

I have a full green bloom going in a qt/observation tank. It came on after the fish moved out and I hadn't been too concerned as I figured I would just do a full water change and it would clear up. Now I'm not so sure...

I'll start a thread as it seems unusual enough to be interesting.

Tony

For water clarity/ blooms I always resort to using my UV. Clears up in a day.

Don't always run it. Only when needed.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For water clarity/ blooms I always resort to using my UV. Clears up in a day.

Don't always run it. Only when needed.
In this case, because it is a qt, I can do a 100% water change and start fresh. I also don't have any fish or corals to worry about (though there are two snails they seem happy for the moment and can be moved quickly if needs be.

So I'm interested to see how it progresses with a regular water change for now.

There's not much light in it.

Tony

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wound up using the UV - an undersized and (relatively) inexpensive model called the "Green Killing Machine". Ran it for a couple of months - it's stopped working, but it's done its job. The tank is looking pretty good these days, pretty clear even looking through the end-panel ... twice, given that there's a mirror at the far end in this vid:

~Bruce

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wound up using the UV - an undersized and (relatively) inexpensive model called the "Green Killing Machine". Ran it for a couple of months - it's stopped working, but it's done its job. The tank is looking pretty good these days, pretty clear even looking through the end-panel ... twice, given that there's a mirror at the far end in this vid:

~Bruce

Looks great!

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Bruce. Incredible Journey so far. I sure have never seen anything like that before.

Tank is looking great, though!

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Tristren & SassAwrasse!

I am _really_ liking the way things are going in the tank these days - everything seems to be surviving, and many things are clearly thriving, from zoanthids to Acros, damsels to parrotfish.

~Bruce, crossing fingers and knocking wood . . .

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is your friend! Glad it worked for you! Happy to hear that! The tank looks outstanding now!:)

Just a PSA @Maritimer and all, sometimes we have to think outside the box and look elsewhere to get what we need.

Case in point my UV. Didn't want to go buy a expensive aquarium UV and couldn't find one locally anyway, except for............ My local pond supply store! Yes, one that's intended for "ponds.

Danner pond master 10w UV.

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product...JGU5fa6rheJcX07_oT4aAp1JEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Works like a champ when my water starts to get little cloudy. Don't run it all the time, just when needed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back