what to do first

Smorgeron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on starting my very first reef tank. Will be using a 75 gallon tank with a 20 or 20 gallon sump. After I get rock, sand, filter setup, and cycling done do I add fish before coral or coral before fish? Does it matter if I do both? Thanks for any help.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @Smorgeron

You are first going to want to add fish before coral. Reason is you want to have a bio load in your tank so that when you do get ready to drop some corals in, your corals will have food. Corals love fish poop so you want to have fish in your tank for a couple of months before adding any corals into your tank.

Other advice that I can give you is take it slow and don't try to rush any process in this hobby. Do as much research as you can before buying fish and corals just to make sure that what ever fish you buy are reef safe, and what ever corals you buy will be suitable for your tank, and tank lighting.

You have joined a great forum to be able to learn and ask question from some of the most experienced hobbyist around.

Start your build thread so other members can follow along, and give you advice on the way of your reefing journey.

Good luck, and Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
S

Smorgeron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I am taking my time with this especially being my first one. I have been doing tons of research on starting up and trying to figure out what I should buy vs. what I can make myself. Definitely in the mindset that this won't happen over night. I had a freshwater tank years ago and we rushed into without knowing anything. We just thought add water, fish, and decorations.

OP
OP
S

Smorgeron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 4 fish be too much to start with? Also what about small crabs and snails?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that you test your water either taking it to your Local Fish Store (LFS), or by getting a decent test kit to test at home. Stay away from API, and invest on some good test kits. Once your water checks out good, adding 4 fish shouldn't be a problem with that size tank.

I would wait till your fish are in water before adding a clean up crew (CUC) to the tank as the they won't have anything to eat. One you put your fish in and they start to poop, then you know your CUC will have something to eat.

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch 52 weeks of reefing by BRS on youtube. It was done roughly 5 years ago, and while some things have changed it contains allot of good info. They recently (past few weeks) also done some 'what went well, what was a total failure' follow up after 5 years. They've also got some recent 5 minute video clips on different areas.

As others have/will say, take your time. Do research. There is many ways to cycle a tank, pick one. As long as it doesn't involve a fish. :) It may sound like it'll be a boring month, but actually seeing the basic forms of life start forming during that period is interesting.

Random advice:
1.) RODI water is an absolut must.
2.) Have a maintenance routine and stick to it. Whether that's water changes on Saturday or Sunday.. or Thursday, whatever. They don't take much effort to actually do, but if you stop doing them the tank will degrade over time.
3.) If you can ever visibly see any sort of pest or algea on a coral frag, do not take it home. Does not matter how pretty it is.
4.) Get a kitchen scale and suitable container to measure with. Always weigh salt when mixing.

OP
OP
S

Smorgeron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they ate other things be
Watch 52 weeks of reefing by BRS on youtube. It was done roughly 5 years ago, and while some things have changed it contains allot of good info. They recently (past few weeks) also done some 'what went well, what was a total failure' follow up after 5 years. They've also got some recent 5 minute video clips on different areas.

As others have/will say, take your time. Do research. There is many ways to cycle a tank, pick one. As long as it doesn't involve a fish. :) It may sound like it'll be a boring month, but actually seeing the basic forms of life start forming during that period is interesting.

Random advice:
2.) Have a maintenance routine and stick to it. Whether that's water changes on Saturday or Sunday.. or Thursday, whatever. They don't take much effort to actually do, but if you stop doing them the tank will degrade over time.
3.) If you can ever visibly see any sort of pest or algea on a coral frag, do not take it home. Does not matter how pretty it is.
4.) Get a kitchen scale and suitable container to measure with. Always weigh salt when mixing.
Yeah I've been watching it. Good stuff.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
You might think about QT your fish to avoid a problem in your tank.

I thought crabs ate other things besides poop.
They eat algae, waste, fish food, snails, corals and fish.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

great advice so I will just give some reading to help

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Read This

@Mastiffsrule
LOL, I bet that doesn't happen again, posted same link at same time

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Random advice:
Totally agree with this totally saved my life and money with this

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be buying a drilled tank or drilling one? What kind of corals do you plan on getting? Try to get the best kind of light for the type of coral you plan on having so you’re not throwing money away? Like others have said do your research for that very reason look at tank threads similar to what you have and the way you would like for yours to look like and see what equipment has worked for them. Risk gardens has a good video also for setting up a reef tank

OP
OP
S

Smorgeron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the planning process. Trying to figure out costs for the tank, stand, canopy, sump, etc. After that then I'll concentrate more on what I'm looking for. For now I am wanting a couple clowns, blue tang, basslet, and the one that sifts through sand. Sorry can't think of it's name right now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back