What to do now? Dkh/calc

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so the tank is about 5 months old now. 8 months including the cycle time. Its a 40 breeder ive got a monti cap, lypto, stylo, torch, gsp, bubble tip nem and a few shrooms. Everything is doing great! But have noticed my alk is down to 5.2 and calcium is around 330 a few days after water changes... What would be my best next step into getting these up? Once ive got these higher then I can use kalkwasser to keep them stable correct?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so the tank is about 5 months old now. 8 months including the cycle time. Its a 40 breeder ive got a monti cap, lypto, stylo, torch, gsp, bubble tip nem and a few shrooms. Everything is doing great! But have noticed my alk is down to 5.2 and calcium is around 330 a few days after water changes... What would be my best next step into getting these up? Once ive got these higher then I can use kalkwasser to keep them stable correct?
You might look into a different brand of salt, that has higher alk and calcium levels when mixed. And / or do more frequent water changes to bring those levels back up.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure u dont raise alk/cal to quickly as it can kill the corals. You can raise alk between 1.0 and 1.4 daily and cal 50 ppm daily. Then you can use kalk to keep parameters were you want them. You can either drip it into the tank, or if you have a ATO you can put it in their.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... If I did a 15 gallon water change on a 55 gallon system with reef crystals (10.7 dkh) (460 calc) (1320 mag)

current dkh=5.2 calc=320 mag=920

Would I just average it out?

40 gallons x 5.2dkh= 208
15 gallons x 10.7dkh= 160.5
Then add 208 + 160.5 = 368.5
Divided by 55 total gallons would get my a dkh of 6.7? In my mind this works any objections?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... If I did a 15 gallon water change on a 55 gallon system with reef crystals (10.7 dkh) (460 calc) (1320 mag)

current dkh=5.2 calc=320 mag=920

Would I just average it out?

40 gallons x 5.2dkh= 208
15 gallons x 10.7dkh= 160.5
Then add 208 + 160.5 = 368.5
Divided by 55 total gallons would get my a dkh of 6.7? In my mind this works any objections?

Yes that is how it works, also remember to calculate the tank's usage between water changes. That alk is dangerously low, I have lost corals due to alk that low when I first started out. You may find trying to keep up with just water changes likely won't work as you get more stock and growth of the ones you already have, even now the types of what you have can consume alk and ca at a pretty good pace. Be aware of mixing procedures also; as storing, excessive mixing, and higher temps of your ro water can cause precip, which will lower your alk, ca, and mg. Give your freshly mixed saltwater a testing to see where you are really at.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is how it works, also remember to calculate the tank's usage between water changes. That alk is dangerously low, I have lost corals due to alk that low when I first started out. You may find trying to keep up with just water changes likely won't work as you get more stock and growth of the ones you already have, even now the types of what you have can consume alk and ca at a pretty good pace. Be aware of mixing procedures also; as storing, excessive mixing, and higher temps of your ro water can cause precip, which will lower your alk, ca, and mg. Give your freshly mixed saltwater a testing to see where you are really at.
Ive got some stuff on order will be here in about a day. But which should I go with bicarb or soda ash? My ph is around 8.2

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Alk, I used Randy's baked baking soda. This article tells you how to increase your cal, alk and mag. 1 part is for alk the other for calcium and the 3rd for mag. Only dose the part or parts you need.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said get your params to where you want them by dosing Alk, Ca and Mg and then see if kalkwasser will hold them. For kalk I use pickling lime at the rate of 1 tsp per gallon via my ato. It won't do anything for Mg but usually that stays pretty steady once you have it at your preferred level. I use regular IO salt and do weekly 10% water changes and everything holds steady.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back