What to do with a fish.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wifes tank was riddled with something and 2 clowns a Tailspot blenny died overnight (looked like flukes). So the only fish left was a fire fish.

So I started another tank 20gal long cycled it and i put him in that. While i cleaned my wifes tank to start it over (had bad dinos). This was 2.5 months ago. I did not run him through copper or anything. Hes the fish that just keeps going. Hes literally the only fish in this tank. Nothing is in it but biomedia and a few rocks.

I want to add him to MY display tank but don’t really know how to proceed. Or should i not?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you look at my signature - there is a link to the questions to answer - to help us help you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My wifes tank was riddled with something and 2 clowns a Tailspot blenny died overnight (looked like flukes). So the only fish left was a fire fish.

So I started another tank 20gal long cycled it and i put him in that. While i cleaned my wifes tank to start it over (had bad dinos). This was 2.5 months ago. I did not run him through copper or anything. Hes the fish that just keeps going. Hes literally the only fish in this tank. Nothing is in it but biomedia and a few rocks.

I want to add him to MY display tank but don’t really know how to proceed. Or should i not?
How did you confirm flukes?
If flukes, treat in treatment tank with prazi pro for an 8 day interval, change water and treat another 8 day interval

Any pics of previous and current fish under white lighting?

with flukes fish will eat less , itch/scratch/twitch, appear to be yawning and also lethargic with rapid breathing respirations

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you confirm flukes?
If flukes, treat in treatment tank with prazi pro for an 8 day interval, change water and treat another 8 day interval

Any pics of previous and current fish under white lighting?

with flukes fish will eat less , itch/scratch/twitch, appear to be yawning and also lethargic with rapid breathing respirations
I’ll be honest the tailspot nny look like it had I CH and the clowns look like they had Brooke.

I do not have pictures of the clowns but when I googled Brooke it looked just like that.

Here is a picture of detail spot when you can barely Make out the white dots.
A19EF713-27E4-4F1D-A704-BD08F59D14C8.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the point to my post here is what to do with this fire fish?
I would re-quarantine the firefish: 30 days of coppersafe, followed by 2x prazipro treatment. then, since your tank has been fishless all this time, it will have cleared itself. Then going forward, give each new fish a full quarantine.

Just an FYI - it is rare for flukes to kill a number of fish overnight. Losses from flukes are typically; 1 then, a few days or a week later, another one, etc.

Jay

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would re-quarantine the firefish: 30 days of coppersafe, followed by 2x prazipro treatment. then, since your tank has been fishless all this time, it will have cleared itself. Then going forward, give each new fish a full quarantine.

Just an FYI - it is rare for flukes to kill a number of fish overnight. Losses from flukes are typically; 1 then, a few days or a week later, another one, etc.

Jay
Would you suggest taking him out of this cycled tank and QT him in another tank with copper? Or put copper in this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suggest taking him out of this cycled tank and QT him in another tank with copper? Or put copper in this?

If this sycled tank does not have calcareous rock or sdand in it, and is a true inert QT, I would use that.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ll be honest the tailspot nny look like it had I CH and the clowns look like they had Brooke.

I do not have pictures of the clowns but when I googled Brooke it looked just like that.

Here is a picture of detail spot when you can barely Make out the white dots.
A19EF713-27E4-4F1D-A704-BD08F59D14C8.jpeg
Can be brook, or flukes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has marinepure bio balls and a few pieces of rubble so the fish has something to hide under. Maybe I shouldn’t use it.
The bioballs are fine. The rubble can absorb copper.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank was set up as a frag/hospital tank. Can I remove the copper somehow? Like after i run the cooper and prazi? Or does this tank need to be taken down after?

Removing copper that gets bound up in calcareous material is very difficult. I generally just no longer consider it fit for use in a coral or invertebrates tank (still o.k. to use in a fish hospital tank).

Removing copper from the water is fairly easy - just change 100% of the water. Or, change a good percentage of the water and then remove the residual copper with polyfilter or other copper removing product.

Jay

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing copper that gets bound up in calcareous material is very difficult. I generally just no longer consider it fit for use in a coral or invertebrates tank (still o.k. to use in a fish hospital tank).

Removing copper from the water is fairly easy - just change 100% of the water. Or, change a good percentage of the water and then remove the residual copper with polyfilter or other copper removing product.

Jay
Ill just start another 10gal tank and just QT the fish in there. This tank is so stable I don’t want to mess with it. Idk your view but its just nice to have a backup tank running.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back