what to do with bio-block from qt tank - isn't there copper in it?

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey y'all,

my fish were recently treated with coppersafe for ich, have finished their regimen and returned to the dt. In their qt tank, i put in a bio-block that was sitting in my dt for about 2-3 months, to help regulate the water quality in the qt.

However, my understanding is that nothing porous that has been exposed to copper medications should be returned to the dt. So...what do I do with it now? Will I ever be able to "clean" it? Do I leave it to just dry out - but then using it in qt again would be useless because all the bacteria would have died off, right?

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the Hanna copper checker, you could put the brick in fresh salt water with Seachem Cuprisorb, then test to see if it is leaching Cu. If it's leaching, I wouldn't put it back in your DT. Although, you could continue the testing to see how long it takes for it to completely leach all the Cu. I would love to see the results.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back