WHAT to do with Blue Tang in 65 gallon tank

Kyle Soto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 65 gallon Red Sea tank on Offerup. The owner was including all of his livestock along with the tank. One of the fish included was a fairly large blue tang (about 6-7 inches). I understand that he is likely too large for this tank but I had no choice but to take him. What would be the responsible thing to do? He is a stunning tang and he is fat and healthy.

IMG_4844.JPG

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take to lfs or offer on the net to some reefer in your area for free ( meet in a public place if dont want strangers at your house

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hate to take it to lfs and put it in their disease laden water. I would keep it until it’s clearly to big for tank and then sell or give away to a responsible hobbyist with a suitable home. It’s so easy to sell or trade online.

CapeReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? I would love a tang for my 200 gal. Lmk if it’s still available and where you’re located! Thanks

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with NOT taking it to LFS. It shouldn't be hard to find a local person to trade for something or buy it from you. My first choice is always to purchase fish from other people's aquariums whenever possible. I seldom have problems with them. Good luck.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading another post Paul B kept a few in a 40g years ago before the tang police was invented and according to him they never complained. I say keep it and just tell the tang police you took him to the LFS :)

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you contact a local reef club. I'm sure a local member would be happy to take or buy that fish. They may even be willing to work out a trade of some kind.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t take it to LFS. Notice how easy it was for the blue tang’s previous owner purchased a fish unsuitable for his tank? LFS don’t use background checks.

Think about this: guess how likely it is for someone to buy a dori fish for their 20 gallon. More common than I’d like to admit.

Blue tang is happy for now. Rehome when you find the right owner.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back