What to do with free 55g tank/stand???

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a mature 65g Marineland CornerFlo SPS tank, with a 20g long sump.

A relative is looking to give me a 55 gallon tank, stand and canopy for free. Tank is the traditional 4' long, and narrow tank. It has not been drilled. It was previously used as a saltwater tank at an elementary school and housed clownfish, tangs, etc. (think Nemo learning tank). They used a canister filter, which will come with it.

From my memory, this size tank is not recommended for a saltwater reef tank, but I'm trying to remember why. Too narrow?

Looking for all advice on this...My current thoughts are either:

1. set up a standalone freshwater/planted tank with discus (downside is having to learn about FW/Discus)
2. Drill and tap into my current saltwater tank (the 55g would be in another area of the house, and I'd try to plumb tubing from this tank to the current one.)

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about using it for a frag tank?
I suppose, but I don't really frag much. I'm sort of in the "let the colonies grow out" phase. Plus I don't have any reefers near me to trade with (I have to order everything online) or reefers that can hang with a fish only tank, let alone SPS.

Back