What to do with old ceramic rings from a QT tank

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm about to be done with the treatment of my blue tang who had Velvet and in an effort to help cycle the tank as quickly as possible, I added bags of ceramic rings from my DT. Now my blue tang is ready for me to remove cupramine from the water and I don't know what to do with the ceramic rings because they were exposed to both Velvet (although the cupramine should have killed the parasite) and cupramine which is toxic to inverts and seeps into rocks and I would imagine ceramic rings as well. It's a nice tank so I would like to use it as a regular running tank now after cleaning. Do I have to throw away the ceramic rings?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep them for the next time you need to cycle your QT tank? That's what I do, just thoroughly dry them out, that will address concerns over the Amyloodinium. Whatever residual copper is in there obviously isn't a concern for the next batch of fish, assuming you don't use it to QT inverts or corals.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice...I didn't know whether the Velvet parasite would die if on a dry surface or not

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine is not like copper power or copper safe. It does not bind to the rocks. If you are worried, the rings are cheap so replacing them shouldn't be a big deal.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back