What to do withh these receeding ora plasma stags

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got these two purple plasma stags from ORA.. I got them from petco at a discount they were 70$ each and i got em for 20$ together. They are receeding on the lower portions and thats why i got a deal.. Petco has nice frag tank but they cant keep acroporas for long they always die..

Anyway.. these corals dont act sad.. they had polyp extension when i was dipping them lol.. I dipped em for 10 minutes in coral rx and nothing came off. So i think its water quality. Ima take em off the plugs tonight. Should i break them past the tissue recession or leave em alone ?

Screenshot_20191015-182041_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is its also just this side.. if i flip em around the skin goes down to the plug.. so its like one side of the stags are receeding.. but yea i think ima break the branches off before the recession and glue them all together in one spot so when they do grow they will grow together hopefully

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much you can do but put them in good quality water and lighting and wait. I would not frag them unless that is rapid instead of slow necrosis.

Next time, do no use a harsh dip like Revive or CoralRx on a coral that is hurting - it can do even more damage. Bayer is much more gentle. ...or have a QT eventually where you can wait to dip them until they are larger and healthier.

That is a hardy coral, they have a good chance to make it. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya i noticed after the dip it got much worse fast.. half the coral on boh frags rtn'd. I decided to not break it since it rtn'd all over the arms not just the bottom.

I just put it mid level in my tank near high flow. The polyps are out slightly.. and i nkticed after a few hours the rtn stopped. I see no more flopping skin. So lets hope it recovers.

Im almost afraid to turn the lights off.. i have a feeling turning the lights off will cause it to go into shock even more from lack of light.. So im keeping them on.. Maybe that sounds weird but i dunno.

At least SO FAR i see no more flopping skin peeling off.. Praying it stopped and itll come back.

I have two qt tanks.. but they have fish in em suspect of ich one is in hypo so i couldnt qt the coral.. regret doing a dip but it is what it is.

Give me luck they make it. The polyps being out partially is giving me hope itll make a comeback

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revive and coral Rx are pretty harsh like mentioned. I only really use lugols when it comes to therapeutic dips, and possibly bacterial infections.

Personally, I'd frag off just before the dead line, do a quick, lite lugols dip, glue them down and give them love.

just my .02

OP
OP
S

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they lost flesh all over the branchs after my dip not just the bottom like in the pick. You can see a spot here spot there all over the arms.. so there is no point now in my opinion to do that at least not yet.

They made it overnight the rtn mostly stopped it seems. So i hope it will stop for good and start healing

OP
OP
S

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are now.

You would still frag em ? If you zoom in on the pics youll see what i was talkin about.. i just worry touching em with my fingers to frag it will make it worse and stress it out more considering how fragile of a state they are in atm.
20191016_164047.jpg
20191016_164034.jpg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tbh, I'm surprised (I don't mean this in a bad way) anything that sensitive survives in your system, considering you use tap with chloramines. I see some issues in your tank, but that's not the topic of discussion here.

At this point, I'd leave it alone, if it survives, great, if not, then $20 wasn't that huge of a loss. I'm shocked petco sells that stuff. Did it look close to TN'ing at the store?

OP
OP
S

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hair algae but i dont care about it.. half of it has been dissapearing slowely. I had taken half my turbos out for my moms 30g tank and the hair algae took over in mine and no local store has had any to buy.

You see the pics of my tank right ? I have had nothing die in my tank ceot a hawkins acropora and thats when i didnt check my magnesium and let it drop to 1080 lol

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hair algae but i dont care about it.. half of it has been dissapearing slowely. I had taken half my turbos out for my moms 30g tank and the hair algae took over in mine and no local store has had any to buy.

You see the pics of my tank right ? I have had nothing die in my tank ceot a hawkins acropora and thats when i didnt check my magnesium and let it drop to 1080 lol
whatever works, yo.

no wrong way to enjoy the hobby as long as it's working for you!

OP
OP
S

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tbh, I'm surprised (I don't mean this in a bad way) anything that sensitive survives in your system, considering you use tap with chloramines. I see some issues in your tank, but that's not the topic of discussion here.

At this point, I'd leave it alone, if it survives, great, if not, then $20 wasn't that huge of a loss. I'm shocked petco sells that stuff. Did it look close to TN'ing at the store?

The first pics were how it looked in the store.. after my dipping for 10min is when it started falling apart. And after 24hrs its stopped for the most part. Im fairly confident at least one of them will come back.

I have 10 different acropora species.. 1 fire monti that grows like an acro i forgot its name. A pink stylophora. A seasons greeting monti. A orange setosa, two leptosarious corals, 2 cyphasterias, 3 plating montiporas, a rainbow monti , suoerman monti.

Ive had most if these for 4 months now and they are all growing really nicely. So whatever im doing its working.. lol i just keep an eye on my alk calcium and mag and dose accordingly and do a 1/3 water change from the tap every month and thats it.

Not to mentioning my 4 bubble cirals. My tirch hammer. Frogsoawns. And lesthers.. also have a braincoral whos oozing down the rock i put him on

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first pics were how it looked in the store.. after my dipping for 10min is when it started falling apart. And after 24hrs its stopped for the most part. Im fairly confident at least one of them will come back.

I have 10 different acropora species.. 1 fire monti that grows like an acro i forgot its name. A pink stylophora. A seasons greeting monti. A orange setosa, two leptosarious corals, 2 cyphasterias, 3 plating montiporas, a rainbow monti , suoerman monti.

Ive had most if these for 4 months now and they are all growing really nicely. So whatever im doing its working.. lol i just keep an eye on my alk calcium and mag and dose accordingly and do a 1/3 water change from the tap every month and thats it.
Well if the first pic was how it looked at the store, personally, I wouldn't have bought them. It's a gamble I wouldn't make even for $20. Maybe if the tissue showed growing edges and there was algae on the dead parts (tells me perhaps the TN stopped for a while), but that looks like fresh TN (you should have offered $5). At this point, just hope your system is stable enough to help them recover, if they can.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fyi on that particular nordosa starfish.......it mainly eats asternia stars, so if you don't have plenty of them it will die eventually of starvation.

Two months is nothing as you probably have some stars in there for it to consume.

Here's a shot of mine consuming an asternia...........you can also see one being held slightly above and to the right for future consumption as well.

nordosa eating  040816.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back