What to expect after a 1l of alk in tank

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by Ghxst, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Ghxst

Ghxst Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

2E809365-DB6F-4DC7-96BB-8968A8AA7E64.pngHello all, (scroll below to question if not interested in blah blah blah)

Let me first start off by saying I am a dumb ***!!! Okay, now to my issue: About a week or two ago I accidentally left my alk doser on for 15 mins. pH went to 8.6, I did WC and all was fairing okay, thanks to those text alert. Skip to this previous Saturday, all was looking better, dkh down to 8.6 and I decided to turn on the dosers again to keep it stable. Using my phone I slide the doser to auto and put the phone away. It was about 12am and I crashed asleep right after.

I woke up to 8 text, you guessed it pH too high, ever hour, the peak was 8.99. My tank was pure white, rocks, Corals, glass, pumps all white. I took out everything I could into my other tank and started making rodi. I either imagined it on auto or because it was wet, I don’t know. I do blame myself for not double checking after this happening before.

So what should I expect to happen next? It’s been 3 full days and surprisingly I’ve only lost part of an acro. Things look ****** but better everyday. Will I have a crash/cycle coming up? I’m sure it killed lots of bugs and want to be prepared.

Thanks!!

Tags:

2. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

whats your alk?

drawman likes this.
  3. Ghxst

Currently 10, I like it at 8.6. That I have under control, it will take 3 more days to get there.

4. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

That's not bad! I figured it'd be way higher with a pH that went that high!

drawman and Ghxst like this.
  5. XNavyDiver

XNavyDiver Insightful answer loading... please wait. R2R Supporter

Well, an alk spike like that, as we all know, is not good for acros. It may not manifest itself immediately, but I'd be prepared for some of your more sensitive sps corals to possibly rtn/stn. I hope not, and you may be one of the lucky ones!

rstrann, DSC reef, drawman and 2 others like this.
  6. PAXpress

PAXpress Well-Known Member

May also want to check your calc. Would think with all the white you'd have seen some precip.

7. Ghxst

I’m sure it was way higher at the time but I didn’t have the heart to see how high. It was 12 after the WC but I do use rs salt which is 12.

8. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

how big of a water change did you do?

9. Ghxst

Thank you! I hope too. My WD is looking very orange and bright (maybe that’s what the secret to get unreal colors is) everything else is looking bleached and crudy.

I’m super happy my one and only fish in the tank survived and I found him. He decided to chamber surf and I sucked him out with a hose thinking he was dead.

drawman and XNavyDiver like this.
  10. Ghxst

I will again tonight. I think it was 400 after the change. Lots of the white disappeared While cleaning and WC and more after the WC

11. Ghxst

3/4 volume.

12. Ghxst

I am concerned there will be a crash from the dead microverts and worms. I’m watching like a hawk but really busy with lots of other stuff. Lack of sleep going on 9 months got me here in the first place.

Should I continue to do 1/2 volume WC a week for a month or something?

13. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

You alk was roughly 12 before WC then. I'd expect some STN/RTN over the next couple weeks.

drawman likes this.
  14. Ghxst

Strawberry lemon aid and strawberry shortcake are right now

15. Ghxst

I imagine what ever makes it through will be one hearty coral

16. Ghxst

My tank is full mix. Zoas and lps take the majority. Anything I can do to prevent them from death? I’ve been singing songs to them like: don’t die little coral, but not sure if they are listening

XNavyDiver likes this.
  17. XNavyDiver

XNavyDiver Insightful answer loading... please wait. R2R Supporter

Just bring the alk down slowly. I would avoid doing large water changes, but rather numerous smaller ones over a 2 week period until you get back in the range that the tank was use to. In other words, don't try and bring it back down all at once like it shot up.

Ghxst likes this.
  18. Ghxst

Sounds like solid advice! Thanks

19. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

I've been through those white outs before, in the context of limewater overdosing, often without issue. Note that your overdose is different and will lower calcium.

I discuss them here:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.htm

The following important points should help in dealing with a limewater overdose:

1. Don't panic! These overdoses do not usually cause a tank to crash.

2. The primary concern is pH. If the pH is 8.6 or lower, you need not do anything. If the pH is above 8.6, then reducing the pH is the priority. Direct addition of vinegar or soda water is a good way to accomplish this goal. Either one mL of distilled white vinegar, or six mL of soda water, per gallon of tank water will give an initial pH drop of about 0.3 pH units. Add either to a high flow area that is away from organisms (e.g., a sump).

3. Do not bother to measure calcium or alkalinity while the tank is cloudy. The solid calcium carbonate particles will dissolve in an alkalinity test, and all of the carbonate in them will be counted as if it were in solution and part of "alkalinity." The same may happen to some extent with calcium tests. Wait until the water clears, and at that point, alkalinity is more likely to be low than high. Calcium will likely be mostly unchanged.

4. The particles themselves will typically settle out and disappear from view over a period of 1-4 days. They do not appear to cause long term detrimental effects to tank organisms.

5. Water changes are not necessarily beneficial or needed in response to a limewater overdose.

20. Ghxst

Awesome!! I did look up an article you wrote about too high pH and used the vinegar. I wanted to use soda water but all I had was lemon flavored soda water and wasn’t sure what that would do. The alk must have been really high cause it would dip then go right back up. I appreciate your help and advice, You do a lot for this community, Dr!

Draft saved Draft deleted