What to feed clownfish and ywg?

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'll be getting clownfish and ywg soon after dealing with parasite in the tank. I was originally feeding new life spectrum thera A medium.

My old clownfish had a hard time eating it because the pieces were too big. I don't have a LFS so it may be difficult for me to constantly feed frozen food unless it can be offered at petsmart (I think they have omega one frozen brine shrimp)

I'll be getting a pair of clowns and ywg shortly. Should I just get the smaller pellet size of the food I already have? Or is there any other food that would be good for all of them that is easier to come by?

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petsmart usually has frozen mysis - my fish love that.
Otherwise, I feed my fish primarily the NLS marine pellets. If they are too large, you can crush up the pellets so the fish can eat until they grow more. The fish are also likely eating the pods in your tank.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petsmart usually has frozen mysis - my fish love that.
Otherwise, I feed my fish primarily the NLS marine pellets. If they are too large, you can crush up the pellets so the fish can eat until they grow more. The fish are also likely eating the pods in your tank.
Thanks! I'll look at my local petsmart for that. I just realized my link isn't showing for me. I was feeding NLS as well so I'm glad I am on the right track. I'll crush them and just buy the smaller size next time. I definitely have lots of pods in the tank even though I put none in myself haha

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another alternative to frozen and freeze dried food is your own concoction. There is a thread somewhere here with recipes
This is essentially what lrs food is but with a steep markup. So at the end of the day it'd be a question of time investment vs money investment

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does a pack of that typically last?
For 3 small fish, maybe a month. For my tank if I just fed that it'd be gone in like a week tops. Your consumption will also increase over time as the fish grow. Clowns and ywg are pigs, and for optimum health they should be fed well ime especially if you want the clowns to spawn

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 3 small fish, maybe a month. For my tank if I just fed that it'd be gone in like a week tops. Your consumption will also increase over time as the fish grow. Clowns and ywg are pigs, and for optimum health they should be fed well ime especially if you want the clowns to spawn
If I fed mainly pellets but interchanged mysis/brine shrimp and then lrs reef frenzy I few times a week would that be enough? I'm trying to plan a good schedule in advance haha

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I fed mainly pellets but interchanged mysis/brine shrimp and then lrs reef frenzy I few times a week would that be enough? I'm trying to plan a good schedule in advance haha
That's a good blend. A lot of new fish won't touch the pellets to begin with so having the frozen on hand to start is a good idea. What many reefers do (and the easiest option) is once they eat pellets have pellets be primary food source (only what they can eat in a short time) then supplement with the frozen a few times a week. I feed frozen 4+ times a day, but that isn't really necessary unless you've got some finicky eaters who only take to certain preparations. Clowns and ywg are rarely picky after a week or 2

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks! I'll look at my local petsmart for that. I just realized my link isn't showing for me. I was feeding NLS as well so I'm glad I am on the right track. I'll crush them and just buy the smaller size next time. I definitely have lots of pods in the tank even though I put none in myself haha
There is more to pellets and mysis as mysis can cause excess mucus in their stomachs and pellets can cause samne or constipation
Spirulina brine shrimp
small plankton
LRS nano frenzy
mysis flakes
chopped krill

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
super easy to make diy frozen food for fish, I like to do a blend of many random fish scraps I have as my cousin is a fisherman but can be done with pretty much any quality fish.
Here is a pretty simple recipe, mackerel and flounder are the two I like to use most (any fish with good protein to fat ratio and omega 3s and vitamin b12) then just some clams, a couple shrimp, seaweed (for herbivores if you have) and some reef chili (for my corals). Put it in a blender and then into a ziplock bag in the freezer.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more to pellets and mysis as mysis can cause excess mucus in their stomachs and pellets can cause samne or constipation
Spirulina brine shrimp
small plankton
LRS nano frenzy
mysis flakes
chopped krill
My petsmart has frozen brine shrimp and frozen mysis, not flakes. If I get the frozen brineshrimp, frozen mysis, lrs nano frenzy, and the pellets, would that be enough variety?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spirulina brine shrimp
small plankton
LRS nano frenzy
mysis flakes
chopped krill
What chopped krill product do you buy? And what planktonic foods? I currently feed calanus for planktonic

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
super easy to make diy frozen food for fish, I like to do a blend of many random fish scraps I have as my cousin is a fisherman but can be done with pretty much any quality fish.
Here is a pretty simple recipe, mackerel and flounder are the two I like to use most (any fish with good protein to fat ratio and omega 3s and vitamin b12) then just some clams, a couple shrimp, seaweed (for herbivores if you have) and some reef chili (for my corals). Put it in a blender and then into a ziplock bag in the freezer.
Thank you for the alternative!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What chopped krill product do you buy? And what planktonic foods? I currently feed calanus for planktonic
1674073495637.png
1674073531890.png
1674073572677.png
1674073607200.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back