what to feed yellow watchman goby

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns and a ywg. I currently feed new life spectrum pellets every morning and then at night I alternative between pellets and frozen foods (mysis, brine shrimp)

my clowns are loving all the food. My goby is loving the frozen food but doesn't care much for the pellets, no matter if I sink them or crush them or drop them right outside his little burrow. He eats copepods and picks up little sand pieces before spitting them out through his mouth or his gills. I'd like to see him eating pellet foods or something along those lines as I only feed frozen every other day.

What kind of pellet/flake should I try for my goby? I'm planning ahead as I have a vacation coming up where I will be setting up an automatic feeder for a week and I want the goby to like some kind of dry food before then.

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns and a ywg. I currently feed new life spectrum pellets every morning and then at night I alternative between pellets and frozen foods (mysis, brine shrimp)

my clowns are loving all the food. My goby is loving the frozen food but doesn't care much for the pellets, no matter if I sink them or crush them or drop them right outside his little burrow. He eats copepods and picks up little sand pieces before spitting them out through his mouth or his gills. I'd like to see him eating pellet foods or something along those lines as I only feed frozen every other day.

What kind of pellet/flake should I try for my goby? I'm planning ahead as I have a vacation coming up where I will be setting up an automatic feeder for a week and I want the goby to like some kind of dry food before then.
Feed mysis or brine shrimp they love that

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our YWG will eat frozen shrimp cubes and flakes. Nothing in this tank will touch pellets. Recently picked up an Avast Marine Plank Feeder and the freeze dried plankton is a fan favorite for all in the tank, YWG included.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My YWG is a little picky

He won't go very far for food unless he hasn't had any in days.

Like a fussy little baby
Mine seems to be similar haha. I drop a pellet right in front of his face and he doesn't move. But he will try to grab and eat the biggest piece of mysis shrimp floating by

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our YWG will eat frozen shrimp cubes and flakes. Nothing in this tank will touch pellets. Recently picked up an Avast Marine Plank Feeder and the freeze dried plankton is a fan favorite for all in the tank, YWG included.
What flakes do you feed? Does your ywg swim to the top for them or do they sink? I'll have to look into plankton because I haven't even considered that yet

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What flakes do you feed? Does your ywg swim to the top for them or do they sink? I'll have to look into plankton because I haven't even considered that yet

I have been mixing in some standard Omega One Marine Flakes, I feed with both pumps on and he will grab some on as they float lower. I keep the tank pretty fed so I never feel like he's hungry enough to head to the top of the tank, but I bet he would if needed.

I only recently started with the freeze dried plankton Avast Marine sells, since I just installed their feeder (which is $, but awesome). The whole tank loves it!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk that my yellow watchman goby ate much in the way of dry food for about a year with a bunch of sand to search, pods to eat, and frozen to munch on, but he eventually took an interest in omega flake. He likes food that is more likely to float by his hole. Pellets to this day he doesn't usually chase, but he'll eat nls pellets or seaweed extreme pellets if they sink down near his hole.

Try crushing the flake food kind of small so more is likely to fly by the entrance at first so he learns it's food, and be understanding that if his belly looks full and there are plenty of sand critters and pods and frozen he may just not take an interest in flake and that's okay! They CAN eat a lot at once, but they can also live just fine months at a time scavenging for their own food and don't need much energy being such a sedentary fish

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk that my yellow watchman goby ate much in the way of dry food for about a year with a bunch of sand to search, pods to eat, and frozen to munch on, but he eventually took an interest in omega flake. He likes food that is more likely to float by his hole. Pellets to this day he doesn't usually chase, but he'll eat nls pellets or seaweed extreme pellets if they sink down near his hole.

Try crushing the flake food kind of small so more is likely to fly by the entrance at first so he learns it's food, and be understanding that if his belly looks full and there are plenty of sand critters and pods and frozen he may just not take an interest in flake and that's okay! They CAN eat a lot at once, but they can also live just fine months at a time scavenging for their own food and don't need much energy being such a sedentary fish
I've seen mine eat a few nls pellets too but not go out of his way for them. They pretty much have to fall in his mouth lol. Looks like I'll be picking up some omega flakes to try out. I have lots of pods he eats too so I am not too concerned with the pods and the frozen but I'd like to see him enjoy something that I can put in the automatic fish feeder while I am gone lol

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen mine eat a few nls pellets too but not go out of his way for them. They pretty much have to fall in his mouth lol. Looks like I'll be picking up some omega flakes to try out. I have lots of pods he eats too so I am not too concerned with the pods and the frozen but I'd like to see him enjoy something that I can put in the automatic fish feeder while I am gone lol
There was a year or 2 in there where I only fed nls pellets and he did just fine on the 1 or 2 pellets he randomly had fall in his lap

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have pellets with garlic and all my fish including my ywg loves em. How long have you had yours in the tank?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back