What to get

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I heard that I might be getting a 55 gallon tank with stand for Christmas so I can finally do a bigger marine setup. I dought I'll be able to drill the tank for an overflow so should I go with a hob overflow or is there another option.

OP
OP
rob92

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because from what I'm hearing they are getting it from craigslist and it was a freshwater tank and plus my dad has a 55 for a cichlid tank an the glass seems too thin to drill

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled my 55.Worth it.

If it is not tempered you can drill. Just read up on it first its not hard.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question isn't how thin, but whether it is tempered. Tempered glass is not drillable.

After that it's a question of having the correct hole saw for glass (eBay or glass holes dot com) and being willing to make a mistake, which would destroy the tank.

From all accounts, drilling isn't that difficult, just requires a steady hand and patience not to rush it/force the hole saw.

FWIW I did overflow boxes for both of my tanks. Sadly, the company (Hurricane Filters) is out of business and I'm not a fan of either of the two main overflows you'd currently find for sale if you wanted to go that route. One because it depends on a pump to restart its siphon, the other because of low-quality workmanship.

Pre-drilled is really the best way. Other drain options have definite risks\downsides.

I'd consider a hang on skimmer (AquaC Remora is a great option.) and just make it an all-in-one design. Much simpler! You can add an Aqua clear power filter or reactor for additional filtration if you think you'd need it.

-Matt

OP
OP
rob92

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to tell if the glass is tempered I know for the tanks I bought new there was a sticker on the bottom saying do not drill. Does that apply to all sides or just the bottom.

Addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really believe that if you are not up to drilling, there is a couple of options. The first being since you are willing to put a filter on the back, just do hang on overflow box. The second would be, if its a reef tank and you are carfull not to overstock, you could do nice nice hob protien skimmer. With the skimmer it dosn't allow for any place to run any other media or floss and possible bubble in the tank, but it could work. Im saying doing this with a quality skimmer, such as a reef octopus that rated for a 100 gallons, not a sea clone. Now both options are not as nice as a drilled tank, but could work.

OP
OP
rob92

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to drill a 15 gallon tank that I have just as practice I just never had the time to do it plus I still need to get the tool. I've already looked up videos and everything and it looks fairly easy. Is there anyway to tell if the glass is tempered or not?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually only the bottom-glass is tempered in a 55 but I'd do the research to find out for sure wen you have the tank in hand. (Knowing the manufacturer will make it easy to find out for sure.)

-Matt

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while a drilled tank and sump is best, you can have a tank without. I have a 120 gal. fowlr. because of severe back problems I am sumpless. I have a hob skimmer and so far everything is fine. many people keep sumpless sw tanks. you can also do a hob overflow if you don't want to drill your tank.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stop in at a glass shop, some may be willing to do It... One near me was when I was unsure if I wanted to do my own.

frag!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also look at Reef Savvy ghost overflows. They were introduced at Macna 2013. Very interesting concept. Dead silent and less work on your part.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With pages of verbiage but not so much as a picture on their website, I am not filled with warm and fuzzies. My bet would be that it's either vaporware or at best it's just as buggy as other "new designs".

I'd still be thinking of all-in-one design. :)

-Matt

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stop in at a glass shop, some may be willing to do It... One near me was when I was unsure if I wanted to do my own.

That would definitely be worth calling ahead on...no shops in my area do it. Still worth calling around - glass shops and LFSs - if drilling is your preferred route.

-Matt

grozier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hob over flow because I didn't have the funds for a sump at the time. Know I have the sump and have to deal with a over flow box hanging off the back of my tank. Pita will never own a non drilled tank again. About twice a month I need to bleed air out of system. Drill drill drill drill drill.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hob over flow[....]About twice a month I need to bleed air out of system.[....]

Air collecting like that is either a design issue with your overflow box, crack in your siphon tube (it can be almost invisible...dry the tube out completely to help the view) or you have too little flow running through the siphon. Bubbles should flow right through.

I'll guess too little flow, but you'd know better! :)

FWIW, if I were buying today I think I'd seek out an Aqueon overflow box. Looks like a good, standard design.

-Matt

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Eshopps overflow (wit DIY noise reducer) and have never had any problems with the siphon restarting. I also like the surface skimming that comes with using an overflow. If it is set up and maintained correctly, they work just fine.

grozier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tendency to let my reservoir get to low and the return pump starts sucking air. I believe that's where most of it comes from.

Bowin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bowin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lifereef overflow that never fails. From what I've heard Eshopps are a good and less expensive option but not of the same build quality.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back