What to invest in first, controller or media reactors?

Chrispelletier62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a Red Sea Max E 260 and trying to decide what to do first, a Neptune apex with trident to monitor or go with media reactors?? Thoughts on which way to start....

A706BE03-36A8-42DF-B98A-047CB1F65446.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media reactors would be my choice as they can be considered a building block of a reef tank. May not need them always, but are very nice to have when needed.

A controller is nice to have especially if your away a lot, but they are not always useful as well.

OP
OP
Chrispelletier62

Chrispelletier62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media reactors would be my choice as they can be considered a building block of a reef tank. May not need them always, but are very nice to have when needed.

A controller is nice to have especially if your away a lot, but they are not always useful as well.
I may do both at very close intervals

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a Red Sea Max E 260 and trying to decide what to do first, a Neptune apex with trident to monitor or go with media reactors?? Thoughts on which way to start....

A706BE03-36A8-42DF-B98A-047CB1F65446.jpeg
Controller, skip the reactors. If nothing else you need some sort of feed back to deal with heaters going bad and trust me ... heaters go bad.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you planning/trying to solve for? Let that be your guide. If you travel/will travel a lot, then controller makes sense. Trying to lower nutrients and polish water, then the reactors. Don’t know? Then it sounds like money in search of a problem.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use a reactor so controller....but pretty sure getting the reagents needed for trident is difficult right now. So keep that in mind as it may effect usability. Paperweight?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 to this, I agree completely

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go with controller first. It looks like it’s a new tank. I didn’t need any reactors until closer to a year in. I don’t even have them running right now because the numbers are all fine, but my controller is running and helped me realize my alk bottle was empty before my corals showed me the alk was dropping.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say controller if you're leaning Neptune. It'll be the foundation of everything else if you stay with their accessories. I just put carbon in a media bag occasionally. I wouldn't have anywhere near the success without the trident cause I'm terrible with my testing regime. The only I don't like is the wav pumps. They work, they're just really ugly and there are better low profile pumps that will work the same. They just use up less power outlets. It's also an alarm for many things like the heater out the box.

OP
OP
Chrispelletier62

Chrispelletier62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say controller if you're leaning Neptune. It'll be the foundation of everything else if you stay with their accessories. I just put carbon in a media bag occasionally. I wouldn't have anywhere near the success without the trident cause I'm terrible with my testing regime. The only I don't like is the wav pumps. They work, they're just really ugly and there are better low profile pumps that will work the same. They just use up less power outlets. It's also an alarm for many things like the heater out the box.
I’m leaning towards the control. And I like the VorTech pumps. My Max E es no very big, so real estate is important to me.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "generic" media reactor can be used for carbon, bio-pellets, or GFO. GAC works in a bag; there may be benefits to a reactor. GFO also works in bag, but is better if there's a reactor to tumble it. I've never used bio-pellets so I don't know if it's required for those.

CO2 scrubbers, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors, and algae reactors are all their own beasts. You might be able to convert a generic reactor into one of those if you're a DIY type.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back