What to monitor?

madmarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 110 gal aquarium. It has been about 10 years since I had this tank setup. The last time disaster struck when I was on a business trip and I lost everything due to lack of redundancy. I had just the basic:s 1 heater, 1 pump, a single light, a refugium and a few power heads. I never monitored back then for anything but salinity, and hardness.

Learning from my mistake, this time around I am putting in a Reef-Angel for monitored and automated services, as well as additional back-up systems; covering heat, ATO, lighting, power heads, etc. I will be powering this with multiple circuits from my electrical panel as an extra precaution.

I would like to purchase some Hanna test systems to monitor various trace elements. the tank will eventually house a mix of soft, and LPS corals, maybe the odd SPS as well. I am not sure what I should initially monitor starting off and would appreciate any advice. Also, am I right in thinking Hanna has a few different models for testing the same elements?

Thanks!!!!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just LPS corals, you really should not have much ALK and Ca consumption. Those could be done by weekly or biweekly testing. Mg should be fine with even minimal water changes. Any consumption of ALK and Ca can be easily handled with hand dosing of 2 part.

Nutrients: nitrates and phosphates, do not have to be that low with LPS and softies but you do not want unchecked buildup. So something to keep them in check is good. Again, just hand testing should be good and that on a weekly or biweekly basis.

Your controller can control your heater to turn it on or off at need. Also having fans to blow across the tank or the sump controlled to turn on at a higher temp and off again when it drops will help control temp.

The ATO is pretty much essential.

Having an automated testing regime is sort of over kill for the kind of system you are thinking of.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert tests are what I use. Nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, Ph and alkalinity. For heaters I'd recommend 2 with a heater controller.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

Back