What to paint the inside of my stand with???

Bigfish93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have confused myself in trying to figure out what im going to paint the inside of my stand with. Originally I was thinking about using Kilz 2 but am unsure now with everything I have read online.

My goal is not to make it water proof but to make it water resistant so if I spill some water doing water changes and what not.

My questions are
1. What do you guys and gals use?
2. What do you think of Polycrylic? Does it help?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a white paint for marine use got it at lowes maybe $10 for a quart I think took a few days for 2 coats to dry but humidity was crazy high at the time

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint it with fiberglass resin. That will water proof. Paint helps but not all that much. If you want color, paint it first then fiberglass it. It is really easy to do. You pour the fiberglass into tupperware container add the supplied hardener and start painting. You can usually get about 20 minutes before it hardens on it you depending on temperature. Here is a pic of the floor of my tank stand where I did that.

IMG_2497.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kilz Complete is my paint of choice for a primer (or just for inside the stand). The stuff stinks, but sticks like grim death. Good stuff.

I also use this on the outside of a the stand/canopy and just cover it with a quality exterior latex.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Polycrylic on mine after I stained it. Keeps the water from getting in, wipes down easy.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siliconed all the joints then used White epoxy enamel on mine 0ver 9 years ago and its still holding up well.

frame4.jpg

painted5.jpg

stained5.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

philr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at lowes in the paint dept. If you use a poly over paint, make sure it is a water base not an oil base. Oil base poly over paint will yellow and discolor the paint. If its not too late, just use a good quality interior paint/primer combo in a semi gloss finish - 2 coats will repel water.

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After countless numbers of water spills and leaks over the past 8 years, I wish I would have spent the money and used Epoxy paint. Your stand will last forever!! Way better than Kilz for the long haul.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%

Back