What to trust??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my trident set up for about a month just put in my second alkalinity reagent bottle. After I did that it seems to have thrown everything off. All the reagents being used are the ones that came with the unit. I tried to recalibrate it the numbers changed but still off. Trident was reading 8.3dkh, hanna 8.9dkh.

That was yeasterday so today I trashed those reagents and open a new box put those in and did another recalibration and now its saying

Alkalinity
trident 7.98
Hanna 8.3
Salifert 8.6

Calcium
Trident 422
Salifert 385

Out of hanna calcium reagent. So couldn't compare.

I truly don't know what to trust.

Let me know what you guys think I should do/trust.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your left over calibration guild and test it in the Hanna and see what you get. You know what the Hanna should read with the valves on the bottle

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my trident set up for about a month just put in my second alkalinity reagent bottle. After I did that it seems to have thrown everything off. All the reagents being used are the ones that came with the unit. I tried to recalibrate it the numbers changed but still off. Trident was reading 8.3dkh, hanna 8.9dkh.

That was yeasterday so today I trashed those reagents and open a new box put those in and did another recalibration and now its saying

Alkalinity
trident 7.98
Hanna 8.3
Salifert 8.6

Calcium
Trident 422
Salifert 385

Out of hanna calcium reagent. So couldn't compare.

I truly don't know what to trust.

Let me know what you guys think I should do/trust.

I don’t think you are calibrating correctly. You are supposed to calibrate 48 hours after changing reagent, and it sounds like today you tried to calibrate immediately after changing reagent. You need to wait 48 hours to ensure the lines are full of the new reagent, instead of the old stuff.

Calibrating prematurely could very well cause less accurate results, as you are calibrating with the old reagent still in the lines.

OP
OP
ChuckTownReefer

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you are calibrating correctly. You are supposed to calibrate 48 hours after changing reagent, and it sounds like today you tried to calibrate immediately after changing reagent. You need to wait 48 hours to ensure the lines are full of the new reagent, instead of the old stuff.

Calibrating prematurely could very well cause less accurate results, as you are calibrating with the old reagent still in the lines.

I thought the 48 hours was only for the first time start up. Like when you first get it. Never saw anything about everytime you changed reagents. When I replaced the reagents I primed all lines and reagents. But ill try again tomorrow that will be 48 hours but that's my last calibration solution.

NeptunePaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't necessarily 48 hours, but it is 3-4 test that demonstrate precision. After changing reagents and even after priming the lines it is possible that the first test or two will need to adjust to the new reagents. If there is a significant jump after changing reagent, then we recommend running a few back to back tests before calibrating. If there isn't a jump, then waiting the 48 hours is just fine as well.

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents so take it for what it’s worth, but it would seem that a “purge” the line/s programing feature would be needed/advantageous in order to maintain higher degree accuracy when swapping out new reagent bottles. If done correctly this might eliminate all the inaccuracies associated to the swap out. Yet this also means that you would be wasting reagent to some extent. It’s a double edge sword but I’d rather have accuracy over a few milliliters of reagent any day of the week.

NeptunePaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents so take it for what it’s worth, but it would seem that a “purge” the line/s programing feature would be needed/advantageous in order to maintain higher degree accuracy when swapping out new reagent bottles. If done correctly this might eliminate all the inaccuracies associated to the swap out. Yet this also means that you would be wasting reagent to some extent. It’s a double edge sword but I’d rather have accuracy over a few milliliters of reagent any day of the week.
That is what occurs during the reagent replacement task already. The issue is when you change reagent kits and your reagent kits are from two different batches. Some batches are a bit different than others, and even the smallest variation can cause a large change in your numbers. When the batch you are on is different than the batch you are going to, then it will be helpful to calibrate a bit sooner as I described above.

NeptunePaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are on the bottom of the bottles, but IMO they don't have much value to you, the end-user. It very likely to have batches with different numbers that don't show much difference between each other at all- that is far more common. When numbers jump significantly after changing reagent, that it indicative of needing to do a calibration a bit sooner. Not the actual batch number itself.

NeptunePaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the 6 month packs come with matched sets of reagents- kind of nice since it reduces the spike (and saves money).
Correct, in a 6 month kit, each of the 2 month boxes come from the same batch.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back