What to use to Seal Plywood for ATO Container

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just a simple question here - if I were to build a small ATO container out of wood and/or plywood, what would be the best thing to use to seal the wood and make it waterproof and reef-safe? It would be a small container, probably 2-3 gallons worth. Trying to avoid paying another $100 for a 5-gallon acrylic container, but that's about the smallest commercially-available container out there.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
huh? $100 for a 5 gallon container? most folks i know that lug water aruond (esp from LFS) use 5 gallon containers and they are about $10.. amazon has one for $16 (5 Gallon Plastic Hedpack with cap)..

not sure there are too many good things to permanently seal wood (for water) that would hold and not leach toxins at some point.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Heck- 5 gallon bucket works super
Even Petco's next $1 a gallon sale- 10 gallon tank for $10

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not pick up a 5gal tank at Petco, etc. Cheep!

I doubt you could effectively seal a wood box, especially a manufactured product like plywood. There's chemicals used in the bonding agents you don't want in your tank.

I use an old Brita pitcher for my ato works great!

OP
OP
Biokabe

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, a simple 5-gallon bucket or an old Brita pitcher won't work for my application. It's for a countertop tank without a stand, and so I'm trying to put something in place that will hold more than a gallon of water while not looking like a giant eyesore in the middle of the floor. I picked up a cabinet to try and hide a 2-gallon bucket inside of, but the cabinet is too wide and blocks access to the tank from one side. Our house is rather on the small side, so the dining room table sits in between the kitchen island (with the countertop tank) and our larger tank. Shift the table to one side so that the cabinet works, and now you have to squeeze in between the table and the main tank. Shift it back so that you can walk comfortably between the table and the main tank, and now the cabinet blocks access again. It's a pretty narrow space constraint that I'm working with. Something like this would fit under the counter without blocking access, but then I'm paying $130 for a fancy glass box that I would still probably need to encase in a cabinet to not stick out. So if I'd have to build something to stick it in anyhow, I thought I'd see if one could simply line or coat the wood in some way and skip out on the glass box inside of it.

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think I understand - you're building a wooden ATO box to go inside the cabinet or the cabinet itself? Is this for the little tank on the island or the big tank?

Here's an idea, how about a boxed wine bag or two so you dont have to worry about the shape of the box?

Or you could go to a dump/junkyard/trash heap of a house and find some equally sized glass panes to silicone together for a box?

I will say, people on this thread astonish me with their ability to find extremely expensive tiny glass boxes lol

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flex seal spray might work but idk anything about it as far as curing and or leaching chemicals back into the water over time.. probably not a good idea..

You could also pour your own silicone mold to go in whatever shape container you build. Tons of youtube videos on diy silicone stuff

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, a simple 5-gallon bucket or an old Brita pitcher won't work for my application. It's for a countertop tank without a stand, and so I'm trying to put something in place that will hold more than a gallon of water while not looking like a giant eyesore in the middle of the floor. I picked up a cabinet to try and hide a 2-gallon bucket inside of, but the cabinet is too wide and blocks access to the tank from one side. Our house is rather on the small side, so the dining room table sits in between the kitchen island (with the countertop tank) and our larger tank. Shift the table to one side so that the cabinet works, and now you have to squeeze in between the table and the main tank. Shift it back so that you can walk comfortably between the table and the main tank, and now the cabinet blocks access again. It's a pretty narrow space constraint that I'm working with. Something like this would fit under the counter without blocking access, but then I'm paying $130 for a fancy glass box that I would still probably need to encase in a cabinet to not stick out. So if I'd have to build something to stick it in anyhow, I thought I'd see if one could simply line or coat the wood in some way and skip out on the glass box inside of it.
why not make something like that then out of acrylic? could do it yourself, it would hold water, and would be way cheaper.

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think I understand - you're building a wooden ATO box to go inside the cabinet or the cabinet itself? Is this for the little tank on the island or the big tank?

Here's an idea, how about a boxed wine bag or two so you dont have to worry about the shape of the box?

Or you could go to a dump/junkyard/trash heap of a house and find some equally sized glass panes to silicone together for a box?

I will say, people on this thread astonish me with their ability to find extremely expensive tiny glass boxes lol
If the tank is in the kitchen area the box o wine might blend in and look natural. Love it hahahah

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our house is rather on the small side, so the dining room table sits in between the kitchen island (with the countertop tank) and our larger tank. Shift the table to one side so that the cabinet works, and now you have to squeeze in between the table and the main tank. Shift it back so that you can walk comfortably between the table and the main tank, and now the cabinet blocks access again. It's a pretty narrow space constraint that I'm working with.
I know this doesn't address OP's question, but sometimes this is why people buy purpose-built acrylic ATO reservoirs. Speaking from experience, it is amazing what you will spend on aesthetics and to deal with space constraints when you don't live in 3000 sqft. Aquariums, kitchens, home offices, kids rooms. Smaller isn't always cheaper.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This holds 5 gallons. Way better than building something. You could co to a discount store like Marshalls and pick up a pet food container for pretty cheap too.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys do know that alot of the biggest tanks around are built out of plywood right? No toxin leaching issues. I believe fiberglass resin and pond armor are the sealants of choice

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys do know that alot of the biggest tanks around are built out of plywood right? No toxin leaching issues. I believe fiberglass resin and pond armor are the sealants of choice
Never really thought about it, but I've been Googling around and yup, good way to build a giant tank.... Now all I have to do is convince my wife....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back