What todo???

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so someone got out of the hobby and gave me a 120 gallon tank, stand, and wet/dry filter. My question is: should I keep the filter he gave me or buy a sump? It is an Eshopps 300 Trickle filter with dual overflow. I'm planning on transferring all of my current coral, fish, etc. to this so I'm planning on a full reef for the 120. Would this filter be ok? Here's a pic of the filter I have now!
982b736c94ae2696ca1bc0c9a855c25b.png

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how to do it but see if you can transform that wet/dry into a sump. Wet/dry is quite old technology that was designed primarily for fish only tanks. Back in the day before live rock was in common use. Those bioballs will increase your nitrate problem.
If you can't convert it, get a sump.

If you got this setup for free, great score!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a sump. A sump can house a protein skimmer, reactors, macro algae, filter socks, and all kinds of stuff.

If you are a DIY kind of guy, you can modify what you have.

Or you could just get a glass tank and put in glass baffles held in place by silicon. I think a 40 gallon breeder would work fine for a 120 but I do not know what kind of space you have in your cabinet.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally hate the wet/ dry filters. Definetly invest in a sump. I'd also pick up a large skimmer, and a bio pellet reactor (to increase effectiveness, put the reactor's output near the skimmer's intake)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back