What Tunze pumps for 72"x36" peninsula? Nothing but Tunze wanted

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72"x 36" x27" 300g peninsula. Acrylic is 3/4" thick. For a long time I avoided pumps on the viewing end. I started with MP 60s (non QD) on overflow side. Too noisy and didn't like the flow limited to straight. Then used gyres on both ends. Decent flow but couldn't stand the monthly maintenance. Then got two stream 3s and had both mounted on the sides at the overflow end. The flow was good but I didn't like the gyre effect making the water always flowing in a single direction.

Currently have the two stream 3s mounted on one side facing each other. The flow is actually pretty good. It's a little lacking on the side opposite the pumps because it's 3' wide and rockwork is in the middle.

My ultimate goal is to have a perfect surge back and forth that slowly moves from one side to the other and back again. Just like on the reefs.

I absolutely love the concept of the stream 3 with the magnetic levitation technology. Dead silent and zero maintenance. But they are big and having 4 of them, one for each corner, is just too much clutter in the peninsula.

So I've been thinking of putting each stream 3 in a corner on overflow end and then getting two more pumps for the other corners. Either 6105 or 6155.

I don't mind mounting more pumps and obstructing the view a little.

So for anyone that has a larger and wider tank and uses Tunze pumps, what would you recommend?

@csb123 - I saw you have quite a few tunze in your tank. Thoughts on ideal setup?

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6155 would be my pick just because I'm a high flow guy.
How's the maintenance on them? I was debating about just getting 4 of the 6155 so I could mount them on the overflow wall and have a bit more angle control than the stream 3

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How's the maintenance on them? I was debating about just getting 4 of the 6155 so I could mount them on the overflow wall and have a bit more angle control than the stream 3
I don't have them I run mps and gyres, but I would just buy the larger out of the two because I like lots of flow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back