What type do fish is this?

dawnhello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fish given to me which started my saltwater journey. They said it was a juvenile angelfish, but I don’t think it is. Can anyone identify this?

467187E9-804D-4731-9F88-934A621631E7.jpeg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! That appears to be an Atlantic spadefish. They are not well suited for most aquariums. They can reach about 24", eat small fish and invertebrates, do best in schools, and require tanks of over 400 gallons for longterm health. I hope that this helps!

OP
OP
dawnhello

dawnhello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! That appears to be an Atlantic spadefish. They are not well suited for most aquariums. They can reach about 24", eat small fish and invertebrates, do best in schools, and require tanks of over 400 gallons for longterm health. I hope that this helps!
Thanks. I looked up information on them, and it is going to be too big for my tank. So, the local store took it.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I looked up information on them, and it is going to be too big for my tank. So, the local store took it.
And here I was, thinking that the end of the story was going to be "...and so I decided to convince the family to build a marine pool in my basement!".

:p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back