what type of algae is this?

DrMrSir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got this algae growing on my sand bed and a bit on the rocks. i thought it was GHA but nothing will eat it. I know it isn't GHA because I put some in on a frag plug and my hermit crabs ate it immediately but nothing I have will even touch this. I have bought MANY things thinking it was GHA because it looks exactly like it! does anyone know what it is? i want it gone but if I don't know what type of algae it is I cant get rid of it easily. I have been doing water changes weekly and my nitrates and phosphates are at 0. i also use RODI water so i really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

IMG_6533.jpg IMG_6535.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I was looking at your threads. Seems to be progressing nicely. The algae here looks like turf. Best way to remove is to pinch at the bottom and pull. It should come out as a bunch. I would just remove manually unless it becomes a problem.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not doing anything wrong completely normal to have algee. Just like @Mastiffsrule said pinch it out durring your water change. I like to have all the flow off so I can get it all by hand and if I need to can suck it out with the water change hose. Keep on keeping on your are doing fine.

OP
OP
DrMrSir

DrMrSir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not doing anything wrong completely normal to have algee. Just like @Mastiffsrule said pinch it out durring your water change. I like to have all the flow off so I can get it all by hand and if I need to can suck it out with the water change hose. Keep on keeping on your are doing fine.
thanks now ive got this dark brown slimy stuff that looks ugly i can't take a pic rn but any idea what that may be?

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks now ive got this dark brown slimy stuff that looks ugly i can't take a pic rn but any idea what that may be?

My guess is cyno. I would siphon it out durring water changes some may require scrapping off with a toothbrush. Increasing flow will remove some as well depending on the flow in the tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back