What type of algae is this?

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Can someone help me identify this algae and what would be the best way to get rid of it. It attaches itself to the rock very well

AAB1F3CA-1145-4395-9A12-5FEF83D9018B.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room, a foxface will knock back the sea lettuce.

A few emeralds will help control the bubble. If you don't have a lot of expensive corals, you could also dose Vibrant for a while to slow it down.

For the little bubble algae I have to manage, I just do it manually by zip tying a pointed stick to a syphon hose and sucking them into a sock.

OP
OP
F

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I was thinking it was sea lettuce. I don’t have room for a fox face. My tank is only a 75 gallon.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ulva - Tangs will eat like candy. The hair- Pull what you can by hand and reduce white light intensity and check for phos and nitrate for elevated levels. Adding ChemiPure elite will keep both of those levels in check.

Are you using RODI water or Tap water from the faucet?
Is your tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
F

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ulva - Tangs will eat like candy. The hair- Pull what you can by hand and reduce white light intensity and check for phos and nitrate for elevated levels. Adding ChemiPure elite will keep both of those levels in check.

Are you using RODI water or Tap water from the faucet?
Is your tank at or near a window?
Thanks. I’m using rodi water. It is in a room that gets natural light. No direct light though. I’m starting to research how to get rid of it now. I don’t think I want to dose vibrant. I have pods and chaeto in my sump
The aiptasia may be more of a hassle than some sea lettuce in the end, though.
I do have just a few aiptasia in my tank but just got a peppermint shrimp and it seems to be knocking them back. I had some a while back and got 3 berghia and they knocked them out. I guess there wasn’t any more they could eat and they apparently died. I think what you see in the picture are little feather dusters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. I’m using rodi water. It is in a room that gets natural light. No direct light though. I’m starting to research how to get rid of it now. I don’t think I want to dose vibrant. I have pods and chaeto in my sump

I do have just a few aiptasia in my tank but just got a peppermint shrimp and it seems to be knocking them back. I had some a while back and got 3 berghia and they knocked them out. I guess there wasn’t any more they could eat and they apparently died. I think what you see in the picture are little feather dusters
Light reduction does help. That indirect light is likely a main cause as UV rays are strong. Even with shades and blinds- sunlight UV can penetrate. Blocking out the side that faces the window with black construction paper does work.

OP
OP
F

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light reduction does help. That indirect light is likely a main cause as UV rays are strong. Even with shades and blinds- sunlight UV can penetrate. Blocking out the side that faces the window with black construction paper does work.
Ok I will try it. Thank you

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I was thinking it was sea lettuce. I don’t have room for a fox face. My tank is only a 75 gallon.
A juvenile would be happy in there for a few years. Mine is heading into almost 4 years now in an 80 gallon shallow frag. He is huge now -- about an inch thick. His next home is under construction. Also shallow, but 12 feet long. He deserves it. This (mine at least) is a 5-Star utility fish worth consideration. (Just don't forget the poisonous dorsal spines.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A juvenile would be happy in there for a few years. Mine is heading into almost 4 years now in an 80 gallon shallow frag. He is huge now -- about an inch thick. His next home is under construction. Also shallow, but 12 feet long. He deserves it. This (mine at least) is a 5-Star utility fish worth consideration. (Just don't forget the poisonous dorsal spines.)
I didn't realize I could get one of those in my size tank. It looks like I can. I imagine I will upgrade sometime in the next couple years. Hopefully I can find a small one locally. Appreciate the info.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back